Author Topic: very basic hard drive question  (Read 3003 times)

sonicwind

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
very basic hard drive question
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:50:31 pm »
I went to the hard drive section in the configuration wizard, and nothing is listed. Was it supposed to automatically pick up the hard drive in the core in hear? My question is how do I set up or find out where to put media files? I've got a 1TB drive in there and the operating system is on it. There didn't seem to be any option on that page for configuration. Can someone point me to the instructions for setting up the harddrive and configuring where media goes?

Secondarily, I want to copy a bunch of media from a windows computer on the same network. How do I do that? I can either push from the windows machine or pull from the LMCE machine.

Thanks.
LinuxMCE 8.10 - Intel E7500 -  Intel BOXDP43TF - GeForce GT240 - HDHomeRun - iPhone - luser
::Use a VGA port for first configuration:: ::Setup your network from the get-go::

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: very basic hard drive question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:48:19 pm »
This drive should already be configured if Linuxmce is installed on it.

The location media goes should be:

/home/public/data/

then video/ audio/ documents/ or pictures/

From your windows machine you should be able to find 'dcerouter' click on it, then goto /public and follow the path as before.

copy your media to the relevant directory (audio/ video/ etc.) then wait for a few mins.  Linuxmce will find any media and add it to the database which means it will be displayed under Audio, pictures or Video (based on file type) on the Media menu.

sonicwind

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:28:15 am »
firstlt check every option that is there in ur system. try to search each and every option that u seee. by doing this way u can excel the hardware

I have no idea what you mean by this, savithri0254. Maybe you should learn every option for writing in English before posting? Just kidding.

Thanks Techstyle your information combined with getting my network setup got me going in the right direction. For some reason there are multiple similar directory structures on the Core, so it was a little confusing. Plus I thought I would see those directories configured somewhere in the options, you know, the full paths, but I didn't yet. Also, when I went to KDE mode and used the file browser UI app there, a couple things did not work for me. One, the directory structure you mentioned, which is in fact the right one, would not allow me to put files in there, even though I was able to connect from the LMCE machine to my Win machine and see my Win files, it acted like those data folders were read only or something. However when I connected from Windows, I could paste the files in fine. Also, when I connect my USB drive, it shows connected, but when I click on it in the KDE file browser it won't open it up for viewing. And the "plug and play" from MCE seems to have stopped recognizing the USB drive. I don't recall selecting the option to ignore it permanently, but just in case I did, is there a way to reset that choice?
LinuxMCE 8.10 - Intel E7500 -  Intel BOXDP43TF - GeForce GT240 - HDHomeRun - iPhone - luser
::Use a VGA port for first configuration:: ::Setup your network from the get-go::

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:26:52 am »
I don't recall selecting the option to ignore it permanently, but just in case I did, is there a way to reset that choice?

I think (which means you can try it at your own risk or wait for someone to confirm) that the list of devices permanently ignored is in the web admin page at 'Advanced > Configuration > Unknown devices' from here just unlock the device and it will be re-added

hope this helps

sonicwind

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:04:46 am »
I don't recall selecting the option to ignore it permanently, but just in case I did, is there a way to reset that choice?

I think (which means you can try it at your own risk or wait for someone to confirm) that the list of devices permanently ignored is in the web admin page at 'Advanced > Configuration > Unknown devices' from here just unlock the device and it will be re-added

hope this helps

Yeah, there was a device in there, and when I removed it, it did prompt me afresh, but it wasn't the USB drive. It's apparently a wireless camera, not mine, though, I don't have one. Not sure how this could be. I have a wifi router, but it's locked down. Otherwise there is no way LinuxMCE could be detecting it. Curiouser, and curiouser. Perhaps LinuxMCE is mistaken as to what the device is. LOL, I installed it. No picture though. Weird. Sometimes I feel like, someone is watching me.

Edit, it's probably my DLink print server.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:31:54 pm »
Edit, it's probably my DLink print server.
That's funny, My DLink WAP keeps being detected as a camera too....
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65