Author Topic: Hybrid Core and other services  (Read 2983 times)

bbnd

• View Profile
Hybrid Core and other services
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:05:39 pm »
Probably asked and answered but if you could take a minute to respond?

I currently have a myth backend/frontend with two additional frontends. I have used MythDora and my own Myth on CentOS in the past and am ready to move beyond the 'Media distribution' aspects of Myth and add the other things LinuxMCE brings to the table. I had looked at LinuxMCE and am ready to give it a spin.

1) Can I dual boot linuxMCE with my current distro/myth?
2) If not #1, has anyone delved into virtualizing the core?
3) I have an Intel 65xx based system with 2G RAM, 4TB external storage. I would use this as the lmce hybrid core and storage. Right now this machine is my myth backend/frontend, samba server for laptops, http for mythweb, and remote iso install for new os's. It has 2 pvr 150's for analog cable and I use an HDHR for clear QAM. Would this Intel 65xx have enough oomph to be a hybrid lmce core for the 4 inputs while maintaining samba, file storage, os installation and http?
4) I have some old X10 stuff lying around, can lmce make use of this type home automation (and I use the term loosly) equipment?

OK, those are the questions for now, off to browse the wiki and docs.

thanks
don

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid Core and other services
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:23:20 pm »
1) there's nothing technically limiting you from doing this if you really want to... but it defeats the purpose of having the system since you won't be able to access the features for some amount of time...  You realize that LinuxMCE runs a MythTV instance in the background, right?  You can import your stuff into that if you're tricky - I made a post about it somewhere when someone asked something similar.
2) again, this is more trouble that it is probably worth, and will not get you the results you are looking for, especially for media playback.
3) by 65xx I'm assuming you mean one of these: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42805 .  Yes, this has the power to do everything you're doing now with LinuxMCE, as far as I know.  LinuxMCE hosts most of the services you have set up manually - Myth, samba, and mythweb are all installed for you.  So is a complete network management pacage.
4) ...read the FAQ and other forum posts.  LinuxMCE can use X10 devices.

You need to read the FAQ in its entirety.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

bbnd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:00:50 am »
Thanks for your reply,

1) The system I have now (myth 0.22-5 on CentOS and mythdora 10.21) has a high WAF and I was looking to dual boot LinuxMCE so as to not screw that up while deciding if this was or me/us. Of course I do understand that one OS or the other would be unavailable at a given time.
2) You've not seen a 4xquad xeon running vsphere ;) It could/can easily handle this as a core/hybrid along with frontends (MD?) playing 1080p recordings, I would again be using it as a sandbox for testing and was looking for input as to others who might have tried.
3)Yep I get it. But I am not doing any home automation or using anything like astrisk and did not know how much additional load that would add. And what kind of load does LinuxMCE bring to the table itself?
4)OK, support for something and having it work in real life are two different things. Look at X10 itself. I guess I should have reworded it to ask for input as to how well x10 works, used with zwave (whatever that is) etc.

And as my last line read, i am off to read the wiki and docs.

Thanks again
don

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:03:25 am »
I can already tell, I am going to be smacking this guy around a few thousand times for being so hard headed...

*shake-head*

-Thom

bbnd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:57:23 am »
So, you are saying setting up a test system is a bad idea? Am I really looking at this from the wrong direction? If so please share now before I get hours invested in this product.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:36:54 pm »
Thom doesn't like it when people try to bend things, and gets annoyed when people ask a question and immediately disregard the answer.

Your experience will undoubtedly be better if you don't put it in a VM or dual boot - you already knew this, and you've basically said that you're going to ignore my answer.  I personally don't care what you do, so long as it makes you happy and you don't complain when it doesn't work flawlessly.  You know the limitations of VMs and dual booting, so have at it.  Make sure you read the documentation - start with the FAQ ( http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ )

bbnd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45:40 pm »
>>Thom doesn't like it when people try to bend things, and gets annoyed when people ask a question and immediately disregard the answer.<<

Umm, OK. (note to self, make sure to stroke thom's ego, you might want to add this to the front page or the FAQ)

I didn't disregard anything. In fact, I thanked you nicely for your response and tried to explain further what I was doing and why. Sorry if that was offensive.

Thanks again for your help.