Author Topic: Disk Drive not correctly starting  (Read 3289 times)

Drax02

• View Profile
Disk Drive not correctly starting
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:35:20 am »
Hello! I've been a happy and quiet LMCE tinkerer for almost a year now.  I LOVE this system.  It's absolutely revolutionary!

To my problem now. I have recently installed the 32bit 810 Beta (from DVD) to a box that I have recently built. (AMD Athlon II 3 GHz, Asus 785GM-E65, 4 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Gt220 vid)

I have sucessfully installed 810 beta with working video drivers.  U1 overlay (No blending) works great with flickr pics and all!  When the core/hybrid is generating the media director for the hybrid, It fails to start the 2 disk drives (DVD drives) and tells me that they did not start correctly.  When I put in a DVD for video playback, LMCE does nothing.  I'm assuming since it couldn't start the device, it can't read the media.  Fairly logical, right?

How do I fix this?  Any thoughts or any more information needed?

Thank you!
-Drax02

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Disk Drive not correctly starting
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:54:43 pm »
I'm assuming you have them cabled correctly, and the hardware is known-good.

What do the logs say?  Find them on each Disk Drive's Device Page of the web admin, or somewhere around here
Code: [Select]
/var/log/pluto/35_Disk_Drive.logreplacing "35" with the device number of each of your disk drives

Also check DCERouter.log for any Disk Drive related issues.

Drax02

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:30:21 am »
Thank you for the reply!  I greatly appreciate the help.

I checked in the path you provided (and on the web admin page) and there are no Disk Drive logs to be found.  However (strangely) the web admin sees them both and gives them numbers.  28 and 30.

The DCERouter.log has lines that look like this:

Parameter 9(Text): Downloading Pluto Disk Drive Functions... <0x8bec9b90>

And then:

Parameter 9(Text): Failed to get Pluto Disk Drive <0x8bec9b90>

That repeats for 4 times consecutively, twice in the log.  Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

I have tried the apt-get update and dist-upgrade options in lieu of the new updates, however i get an error there too.

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  nvidia-glx-180: Depends: nvidia-180-libvdpau (>= 180.53) but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies.  Try using -f.

So, thinking that everything is a quick fix with apt-get I do a sudo apt-get -f install
I get:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  nvidia-180-libvdpau
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nvidia-180-libvdpau
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/758kB of archives.
After this operation, 1552kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  nvidia-180-libvdpau
Authentication warning overridden.
(Reading database ... 157618 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nvidia-180-libvdpau (from .../nvidia-180-libvdpau_180.53-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-180-libvdpau_180.53-0ubuntu1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1', which is also in package libvdpau0
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-180-libvdpau_180.53-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

What should i do here? Should i try to find the package somewhere on the interweb and manually install it?

Thank you for your patience!
-Drax02

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 07:11:22 am »
Not sure why you have 180.x nvidia drivers

you should be getting 195.36 and the vdpau should get installed along with the drivers.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 03:55:06 pm »
The 180 drivers come from the Ubuntu repositories...  What does "/etc/apt/sources.list" look like?  You should have an entry for avenard that looks like this (along with the ubuntu stuff, and medibuntu):
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos/ intrepid  release

You can try removing the 180 (apt-get remove nvidia-glx-180) and installing the 195 (apt-get install nvidia-glx-195).  Package names might not be perfect, I'm doing this off the top of my head - use "apt-cache search" to find the right ones if it doesn't work.

Drax02

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:29:38 pm »
Thank you for all the info!  You guys are great.  I will be trying this over the next little bit of time and will let you know what happens.

-Drax02

Drax02

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 02:14:42 am »
Ok Great news.

My problem with the video drivers was that I had installed them from a .deb that i had downloaded from the nvidia website before I had installed LMCE over Kubuntu 810.

I believe that the install wiped out my 190.53 driver and installed a 180 driver.

So, like jimbodude had suggested, I manually removed the nvidia-glx-180 package.  (apt-get remove nvidia-glx-180)

I had checked my /etc/apt/sources.list and i did not have the avenard.org/release line.  After adding that in, I updated and dist-upgraded.

Reboot!

Terrible video, so i manually installed the .deb from the nvidia website (dropped to runlevel 1 and sudo dpkg -i NVIDIA-x86-yaddayaddayadda.deb)

Full 1080p with working disk drives!  It is the gateway for my house as we speak.

Thank you so much!

-Drax02