Author Topic: Cisco 7970 - missing term70.default.loads file?  (Read 12312 times)

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
Cisco 7970 - missing term70.default.loads file?
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:04:22 pm »
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a 7970. I bought this phone to extend test purposes, but have never really used it much.
This particular phone has been part off a 0710 installation. As far as I remember there were no specific issues.

As I'm setting up 0810 and expanding, thought I'd reconnect the 7970. It would not trigger a 'new' device detection on the core.
So I did a search on how to hard reset a 7970, found the procedure and followed it through.

I'm not sure what is wrong, did I interrupt the hard-reset procedure too early or what, I don't really know.
I'v tried to delete the phone  a couple of times via lmce-admin page, and have it recreated but to no avail.

Now the phone keeps recycling, and throws a couple of quick errors on the screen after recycling.

Followed through on the 7970 wiki page, and went for tcpdump to try and see what's happening:
It seems the phone tries to load term70.default.loads, but this file is not on the core.

I'm looking for help on this one, I have no experience with cisco, and their docs seems so vast I wouldn't know where to start..

Erwin

felpouse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cisco 7970 - missing term70.default.loads file?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:49:49 am »
Hi Erwin,
if you did a complete reset the phone actually is without a firmware on it. And the file you saw with tcpdump is the initial file needed by the 7970 to load the firmware requested via tftp.
The specific file and therequest are related to the xml file configuration that you have in the /tftboot dir.
The old installation of LinuxMCE and Pluto had also the firmware on it. But starting from the 0810 the firmware files are not present.
If you have a support contract with Cisco you can download the firmware put it in the /tftpboot, adeguate the xml config file dir and reload the phone. Thats it, you can follow on the phone screen the upgrade procedure. Also you had to verify and check the mac was in the range of the Cisco 7970 template.

Best regards

Luke

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:10:31 am »
Luke, thanks for replying;
I have a 2nd 7970 that is functioning. Is there a way to copy the firmware from the working one to LMCE?

I'll have a look at my 0710 tomorrow and see if those files are there?

A pitty this would have changed from 0710 to 0810, as I have no support contract. Perhaps some legal reason?

Thanks!

Erwin

felpouse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:04:53 am »
Erwin,
I don't think there could be a possibility to copy the firmware from one phone to another.

The only possibility is to have an old copy of the deb package from an old installation of linuxmce....

If I remember correctly was :    cisco7970firmware_7.0.2-1_i386.deb

Regards,

Luke

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:13:11 am »
Luke, thank you.
Seems harder to get than I'd expected.

I still have my 0710 system around, did a locate cisco without result.
Tried mounting my 0710 DVD images and searched to no avail.

Sorry to bother you like this, would you have any more detail as to where/how I could retrieve this file?
Does the 7.0.2 part of the filename stand for LMCE ver 0702?

Thanks a lot,

Erwin

felpouse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:40:46 am »
Erwin,

I think that the only possibility is to take a look to the iso of 0704 or the oldest one. I think that from 0710 the cisco firmware was already not present. But at the moment I don't remember exactly when this part of package disappear from the distribution. I'm sorry.

Let me know if you find it. Or I can try to find it in my old cd images from pluto installation. But I can do this this evening when I went home .

Regards

Luke

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 06:47:34 pm »
Luke, thanks for your help. Were are you situated by the way? Italy, Torino? I may drop by on holliday :-)

I haven't located the files yet.
I've downloaded 1.0 and 0704 (2CD), mounted the images and searched but found no ciscco*.deb.
Also searched for *irmware*

I've also posted on voipuser.org, no answer yet.

So if you could find them that would be a great help!

Thanks,

Erwin

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 08:09:15 pm »
Luke,

I have found 7970-602sr1-5.tar on the internet.
It contains among others TERM70.DEFAULTS.loads
All I did was copy this file to /tftpboot

The 7970 is up again, I can call other phones in the house and vice-versa.
The orbiter service is not working  now. I'll try to delete the phone and have it redescovered by Pluto.

I have this in Status Messages:
Code: [Select]
19:51:39 File Not Found : CTLFile.tlv
19:51:40 No CTL installed
19:51:40 SEP000F905AD218.cnf.xml
19:52:13 File Not Found : CTLFile.tlv
19:52:13 No CTL installed
19:52:13 SEP000F905AD218.cnf.xml
19:52:13 File Not Found TERM70.7-0-1-0s
19:52:14 No valid CAPF server
19:52:15 Error Updating Locale
19:52:15 Error Updating Locale

A couple of questions since you seem to know your way around with Cisco:
- I bought these 7970's via internet. They look really good, but I discovered that the numeric key #6 is stuck.
So no way of using key #6.
Do you know of a guide somewhere on how to open these beauties? I'd like to try to repair this button, but I'd hate to break the phone while trying to take it apart.

- How can I add / modify ring tones on the Cisco 7970?
- Is it possible to use the 7970 as a wake-up alarm, and have it play some audio media??

Thanks for your help!

Erwin

P.S. If anybody needs this firmware PM me.
Would there be a problem incorporating this tiny bit of data into 0810 to avoid these problems for the future?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:19:45 pm by Lexje »

felpouse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 10:52:24 pm »
Hi Erwin,

as you want to come in Italy you are welcome.

I had found this ftp link :

Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.itl.ua/pub/cisco/ip-7900ser/

Here you can find many release both sccp and sip version. You can unzip the content of the zip file in the tftpboot directory and modify the SEPDefault.xml file about the TERM70.DEFAULTS.loads   .

It's better to not try to open it, I don't think it'll be a simple procedure.

I don't know any procedure about the possibilty to use it as a wake alarm.

About the ring tones I think that is possible , actually I don't remember the correct procedure but why not.

Regards,

Luke