Author Topic: Finally trying 8.10  (Read 5069 times)

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Finally trying 8.10
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:09 pm »
OK, I haven't used linuxmce in quite awhile..  I figured I would give 8.10 a shot...  fresh install of kubuntu, updates and reboot, downloaded latest installer, ran pre, install, and post install.

comes up with a WHITE screen, not black with cursor and states installing packages..  ie..  flac, cdrecord, lame, etc...  generates screens, says Loading LinuxMCE...  I never get the avwizard...  reboot and it does the same thing, white screen and states it's installing the packages it's already installed and generates screens again......  it just sits there on a white screen..

trying to select 1 for dvi does nothing because the avwizard never starts..  holding shift during reboot does nothing..

video card is nvidia 9500gt

Any ideas?

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Finally trying 8.10
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:39:47 am »
I had a similar problem in Beta 1 - you have the beta 2 right?

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 06:52:20 pm »
I don't know...but from what you describe, I suppose you follow the alpha instructions...if you downloaded the latest beta dvd, you wouldn't need to download any installer.
All you'd have to do is boot the dvd and select install Linuxmce... So it is possible you'd not run into the problem you described.

JohnEdwards

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:52:18 pm »
I'm having the same problem with beta 2.  No avwizard comes up, and when I try to use the avwizard under advanced options, my linuxmce reboots, and doesn't come back correctly.  I have the feeling I'm missing some packagaes somewhere in the install, but not sure where.

amirdt22

• View Profile
8.10 broken - white screen
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:00:15 am »
Last night I just reinstalled using the directions here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810  (over the last few days the "download" tab from the main page has admittedly broken links returning 404s for the isos, if there is another way please advise)

I'm having the same problem: white screen no AV Wizard

I saved the output (as much as possible) from the mce-install.sh and post-install.sh

In it, I see messages such as "Starting MySQL database server mysqld     [fail]" and later messages such as "dpkg: error processing pluto-media-database (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured", "No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already"

Perhaps we should create a ticket in Trac?  Or if a new version is only days away, I'm happy to wait.

Thanks,
Amir
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:03:17 am by amirdt22 »

iWish

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: 8.10 broken - white screen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 03:26:40 am »
Last night I just reinstalled using the directions here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810  (over the last few days the "download" tab from the main page has admittedly broken links returning 404s for the isos, if there is another way please advise)

I'm having the same problem: white screen no AV Wizard

I saved the output (as much as possible) from the mce-install.sh and post-install.sh

In it, I see messages such as "Starting MySQL database server mysqld     [fail]" and later messages such as "dpkg: error processing pluto-media-database (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured", "No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already"

Perhaps we should create a ticket in Trac?  Or if a new version is only days away, I'm happy to wait.

Thanks,
Amir

I am new to LinuxMCE. I've scrapped XBMC and wanted to try LinuxMCE. Right now I am without any Entertainment!!!

I have tried the 8.10 DVD installation and am getting the same black or white screen with nothing in it...

Here is what I did and if you have done the same thing, please let me know so we can all try to fix it...

1) I used the DVD to install LinuxMCE...
2) Basically it only installs Ubuntu
3) It leaves a mce-install.sh script on the desktop of Ubuntu
4) when I click on that install script, it attempts to install MCE...

I've noticed in my installation the DHCP server is failing to start, the Mysql Database connection is failing to connect and Apache is not starting the admin site...

I have two NIC cards... one for internal and one for external just like the guys suggested here...

However, it seems like the auto installation doesn't either pick up the second NIC card or it is having hard time finding the localhost... When Apache failed, it said it is starting apache on 127.0.1.1... Isn't usually the localhost on 127.0.0.1?

Did anyone have this sort of issue???

I can't get passed the WHITE or the BLACk screen... I've tried to reinstall about 5 times now... Please help.

justineoaker

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:44:23 am »
I also have the same problem as the others. Can I do something about it? It's been bugging me for 3 days already. I've been asking people in Clapham shops where I bought the software from. But I can't really understand them LOL
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:14:29 am by justineoaker »

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 07:59:26 pm »
I am not sure I can be of much help here but I will share my experiences with LMCE and the same gray screen people is describing in case it can help some of you. I have done countless installations of LMCE on my machine mainly for this reason. Last week reading the forums, I saw that there was a new version of the DVD. I went lo linuxmce.org, clicked on download and chose  0810b2 - Linuxtracker. It downloaded in just a few hours. My PC has 3 Hard Drives, 1 for LMCE, 1 for Windows 7 and 1 with my media. I unplugged the drive that contains my media and the windows 7 drive just to be safe. I launched the installation DVD and selected the option to use the entyre drive, once Kubuntu was installed, I enabled the nvidia drivers, dowloaded the updates but made sure to decline to upgrade to 9.04. I run the LMCE installer which did its thing and rebooted when asked. Upon rebooting I got the gray screen saying that it is installing some components like asterisk, firefox..... after that the AV wizard came up perfectly (inthe past I had times where it would not be centered so I could not see the entyre screen), once it finished I started installing components such as Z-Wave.

I must say this has been the best installation I have had in a long time, including the olf 7.10 DVD. If you guys are not using that ISO I highly recommend it.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:16:31 pm »
I have had trouble with the link on the desktop. IMHO the best thing to do is to find the iso of one of the snapshots that has already been released.  Once you have downloaded, burned to dvd, and installed the os ignore the shortcut on the desktop.  Bring up a terminal and cd to /root/new-installer.  Do the sudo su and enter your password when prompted.  Enter ./pre-install-from-repo.sh.  Let that run.  Once that is complete then type ./mce-install.sh.  Let that run to completion.  Then run ./post-install.sh.  Let that run to completion.  Once it is complete then reboot the system.  If you have your monitor connected to the vga output then you should see the avwizard once the machine has rebooted.  If you are not connected to any other video output then you will not see the avwizard.  See this post, http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3931.0 for directions on how to change your connected video card output.