Author Topic: LMCE constantly scanning network share.  (Read 4137 times)

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
LMCE constantly scanning network share.
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:55:49 am »
I have an unRAID array housing all of my video / music collection, in addition to acting as a backup for all of my PCs in the house. It seems that LMCE is constantly accessing unRAID drives, not letting them spin down. I want to be able to access the data on the array, but only when I want it. How can I disable LMCE from constantly accessing the drives of the unRAID array? Should I completely remove unRAID from the devices? What are my options?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE constantly scanning network share.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 12:46:31 pm »
its accessing the drive because (as with any media centre) it regularly scans the folders to check for new media and add them to the database.... you really don't want to disable this, as it is incredibly inconvenient having manually to scan in every piece of new media you add.

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 03:35:59 pm »
its accessing the drive because (as with any media centre) it regularly scans the folders to check for new media and add them to the database.... you really don't want to disable this, as it is incredibly inconvenient having manually to scan in every piece of new media you add.

Thanks!

Is there a way for me to set a schedule of when the array get's scanned? Say, between the hours of 1 am and 3 am daily? I just do not want these drives always going...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 08:34:53 pm »
not presently, UpdateMedia does not appear to have any external scheduling either using at/cron or within the UpdateMediaDaemon or UpdateMediaDaemonControl scripts. So I assume that the sleep for 2 mins is actually within the UpdateMedia binary, so would require the code to be changed and recompiled. Quite frankly, given the daemon structure and the ability to spawn UpdateMedia processes at will, I don't think it is very elegant to have the UM binary just continue scanning indefinitely, just with 2 min sleeps built into the code ... it would be better that the daemon provided the scheduling in the script, spawned UM periodically for a single pass then exit. Or even a cron task calling the daemon with an option set to trigger it to do the spawn, thus retaining the enabled/disabled/status functionality... but that's just not how it currently works. So to change this requires someone with a dev env, and I doubt this is anywhere on people's priorities.

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 05:49:59 pm »
I recently got my first real LMCE install and was wondering why the HDDs were always on, so that explains it  :) I'm no dev but if possible one other idea would also to have a button, eg. in Manage Drives, to start scanning. Although as you say it's definitely not a priority.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 10:42:03 pm »
certainly an option.... but don't forget, besides power consumption and perhaps a little noise, drives running regularly (not even constantly) is not that big an issue... most drives are built to be hammered 24/7 for years at a time without issues