Author Topic: Your opinion please  (Read 4303 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Your opinion please
« on: September 24, 2006, 10:56:51 pm »
It's been a while since I looked into pluto as a home solution, But I'm back again. I still have an interest, but previously I didn't feel that pluto was at a point that it was ready for use and support was lacking. Some time has passed, and I thought I'd see how things have come along. If you'd be so kind, I'd like to get some opinion on a selection for a pluto core.   :wink:

Is this sufficient as a dedicated core? Is it missing anything that would be needed?

Dell PowerEdge 1800:
Intel® Xeon™ Processor at 2.8GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB

Memory:
1GB DDR2 400MHz (2X512MB), Single Ranked DIMMs   

Chassis Configuration:
Tower Style Chassis

Power Supply:
Non-Redundant Power Supply

Hard Drive Configuration:
SATA card RAID 5, Minimum 3 drives required

Primary Controller:
CERC 6-Channel SATA RAID Controller   

Primary Hard Drive:
250GB 7.2K RPM SATA Hard Drive

2nd Hard Drive:

3rd Hard Drive:

Network Adapter:
2 X Intel Pro 1000MT Copper Gigabit Network Adapter   

CD/DVD Drive:
48X IDE CD-ROM

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Your opinion please
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:33:53 pm »
@pixelator

You have not stated what you will be running elsewhere in terms of media directors etc.

The specification given is in my opinion easiliy capable of running as a dedicated core, and will be able to support other applications such as asterisk, mythtv etc.

My only observation is that for the price of sata drives, I would probably add another harddisk to your raid controller as it is easier to do this now than later on.

Only other observation is to make sure that the sata raid controller is supported under debian sarge, as some people have previously struggled with such devices.

Cheers

NOS

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Your opinion please
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:11:51 pm »
All sounds like good hardware
I second the CHECK LINUX SUPPORT of the hardware. Things like on-board sound and ethernet contollers can also cause issues.
http://www.linuxhardware.org/ is a good start, and just googleing the chipsets and motherboard models with the word linux added can help find forum posts.

If your UK based, then i could offer you pre-built systems, as my company is readying launching a range of pluto-powered solutions

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Your opinion please
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:01:38 pm »
Quote from: "bliss01"
All sounds like good hardware
I second the CHECK LINUX SUPPORT of the hardware. Things like on-board sound and ethernet contollers can also cause issues.
http://www.linuxhardware.org/ is a good start, and just googleing the chipsets and motherboard models with the word linux added can help find forum posts.

If your UK based, then i could offer you pre-built systems, as my company is readying launching a range of pluto-powered solutions

Any more info about products ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Your opinion please
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 11:41:11 pm »
The config is from Dell web site. I was trying to get some idea of price while playing with different configurations.

According to Dell, these servers are linux ready and can even be ordered with RH installed. I'd get onw with out an OS (also an option) because pluto would overwrite it anyway. They are also verified for Novel and Suse Linux as well.

The plan is to run asterisk and home controls to start with and later add mythTV and MDs to the setup. I am still investigating the options for MDs and orbiters.

Unfortunately, I am US based and not UK. Is there any chance you could provide a spec sheet on your systems?

Linuxhardware.org didn't provide much help and most of the articles that came up appear to be somewhat older. I'll probably have better luck Googling.