Author Topic: Beta2 Installation Problem and solution  (Read 2884 times)

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
Beta2 Installation Problem and solution
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:59:31 pm »
I was having a difficult time getting the AVWizard to show up on my Core with the beta2 dvd. I would hear the beeps and press 1 then 0 to get to the AVWizard thru the DVI connector with 1080p resolution. This would always bring up an invalid format message on any monitor/flat screen that I had. I spent hours of being frustrated. I edited the xorg file hundreds of times and couldn't figure out what the problem was. I finally brought everything up through the console and kdm used the nvidia settings program to get a 1080p xorg created and then stopped Xconfigure.sh from changing my xorg.conf. I was able to then get the AVWizard to show up. What I found was that the refresh rate is now set to 50hz instead of 60hz on the AVWizard keypresses. None of my monitors could handle that refresh rate hence the invalid format. So when all else fails get X working correctly with KDM and then don't let linuxmce change the xorg.conf by editing the Xconfigure.sh to exit right away.

Hope this might help someone seeing the same thing.

Kevin

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Beta2 Installation Problem and solution
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 02:17:40 am »
try to configure with VGA connection initially. You can always run the AV wizard later on and pick the DVI output once the system has been setup.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

SpiderSprog

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:26 am »
I'm having the same problem.
VGA isn’t always the easiest option.  I have a Hitachi 42" TV (42PD8600) and because of its unusual panel dimensions it makes it hard to find the correct settings in the AV wizard as most of them give a similar "Invalid format" message.

If you want to use VGA you have to boot up with VGA connected, go through the wizard and choose your correct connector then reboot, swap cables, and hope you got the settings right.  If not and you get the same "Invalid format" message, so its swap to VGA boot up again and try another. But then not all of the settings will output an image with VGA, some of them will be out of the Panels range.  I'm aware that I have an awkward TV, but I think VGA for first run of the AVwizard isn’t always the way to go.
I was going to try this tonight but I think I may go with kyfalcons method instead.
Unless anyone can point out something I am missing?

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:13:19 am »
I'm having issues with getting X working on an MD (see http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10720.0) and am also heading towards the sort-X-out-first approach of Kevin below. His was on the core, whereas mine is on an MD and what I'm struggling with at the moment is getting the relevant xorg.conf file to be used... as you will see from my post, in my situation, stopping Xconfigure.sh from changing the file isn't enough... once I've done that, somewhere in the reboot the xorg.conf file seems to be deleted and then the X-server startup is falling back on some default settings.

May not be a problem for you but something to watch out for.

James