Author Topic: Selecting a set of screensaver pictures  (Read 3779 times)

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Selecting a set of screensaver pictures
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:03:19 pm »
Hello,

I have a quick question; is it possible to make a kind of playlist for pictures and select the one you want to use for a screen saver?

The reason I'm asking is because I have my regular set screensaver pictures, and a set of pictures I want to show during a party, and I'd like to switch between the two, without having to select each individual picture from the set in the webadmin.

If not I guess I'll just use some shell scripting and SQL commands.

Thanks.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Selecting a set of screensaver pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:57:05 pm »
currently, no, not that i am aware of.
If you do figure out a way to do so, please contribute your findings, i am sure others would appreciate it.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:40:40 pm »
The photo screen saver itself sends out the command "Get_Screen_Saver_Files" to get a collection of files. So this command can be implemented in any fashion. It currently is implemented in Orbiter_Plugin as a DB read of any files with the ScreenSaver Attribute set.

If another implementation exists and gets called first then it could load files straight from a file. Proabaly only a couple of lines of ruby code.

Call reload command on the photo screen saver for it to refresh the file list.

So what you want should be possible without too much effort in theory.

Regards
Darren

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:07:34 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into that.

In the mean time I've just made a backup of the File_Attribute table in the pluto_media database, then removed all entries that assigned the ScreenSaver attribute. After that I selected the pictures I wanted for the other set in the webadmin.

So to switch sets I have to remove the entries from the table and restore the backup associated with the set I want. (The restore only adds non-existing entries, it will not overwrite any removed entries).

It's a quick and dirty hack, but for now it enables me to do what I want (party is on friday :)). As soon as I have time I'll see if I can make a more elegant solution.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 03:00:24 am »
Hello to all,

I bumped in this post by trying to find information on how to play simultanously a set of pictures with some music in the background.  I´m too new on this and I didn't wanted to post something that it is already solved. 
By reading this I believe this is a way to get the same results because music option is independent of whatever pictures are playing.  So you could leave looping a set of pictures while you make a play list of music as the party continues!!!.
What about of taking this part from Mythtv? I hope Im not saying nonsense words  :-\   

Cheers,

T