Author Topic: 0810 - MD HDD Install?  (Read 6116 times)

Stonerico

• View Profile
0810 - MD HDD Install?
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:00:52 am »
I have following issue.
Since the weekend my 0810 core server is working well. Now i tried to start installing my first MD, but i noticed that only netboot is supported for a MD only device. But i would like to use a local clean MD install. The first MD is a small kitchen Zotac ION ATOM PC with a kitchen cabinet touchscreen and only with the possibility of wifi connection. wifi and netboot does not work. Also i need to install the tochscreen drivers.
How can i install the MD client like in 0710? Or can i use the 0810 core with a 0710 MD?

I'm sorry for my "noob" questions in advance but it's my first experience with LinuxMCE and i'm also not very firmly with linux in general.

Thanks for your help

Edit: One question more, why i can't install only a dedicated core? My core PC does not need the full installation but 0810 does not have any option to choose CORE/MD/Hybrid. Just one way installation is given. I think it was a good solution in 0710 to choose the install routine.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:22:11 am by Stonerico »

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: 0810 - MD HDD Install?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:00:30 am »
This doesn't really address your question, but your desired result.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4921.0
I never quit... I just ping out.

Stonerico

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:27:26 pm »
Hmm that's not a really good solution, the work is so much and the effort too less. I think if i try this then it's better to make a lot of holes into every wall and use a cable.
But i would like to avoid it, just to install the MD client to a hard disk and install the wifi drivers.

mactalla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:15:58 pm »
Have a look at http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7947.0

darrenmason's suggestion looks like the most straightforward method, but AFAIK no one's tried it yet.  Alternatively there's my brute-force method on the wiki linked to from that thread.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:20:37 am »
Your overall experience will be much better with a hardwired network even if you manage to do a local MD install.

Stonerico

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:06:09 pm »
Today the new ION MB was delivered. Now i'm just testing the Netboot over cable. But how long does it take to boot to the Wizard the first time?

The last message from the MD client is:
[6.643145] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver

and now it seems to be stopped...

And i'm also not sure that everything is correct. In the admin page i see no MD. But it install a top level device marked as "the core"  with device template "the core #28". I'm really confused.
The template #28 is configured as a core device....

Stonerico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:51:20 am »
Ok it stopped, today in the morning it was at the same status.
After rebooting the system it tried to start the config.sh and dhcp.sh but immediately after that the system reboots and make a loop.
config.sh, dhcp.sh, rebooting all the time.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:14:36 am by Stonerico »

Stonerico

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 10:44:19 am »
Nobody who can help me?

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 07:34:23 pm »
Are there two NICs installed in your system? The last time I had seen that issue was when two NICs were installed, both activated at the same time. If this is the case either remove one, or if it's between a favoured NIC and an on-board NIC, disable the on-board NIC in the BIOS.

Stonerico

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 11:03:52 pm »
It's a Zotac Ion MiniITX Board with only one Nic (Atom330).

But at the moment i'm installing the core again. Maybe i did some failures in the first install, i'm not sure.
I hope i will get a running MCE system soon. But if yes i see the next problems coming with the touchscreen of the MD....