Author Topic: Newbie installation questions - Nova-TD-500 and Intel GMA X4500HD  (Read 4463 times)

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Complete newbie to Linux and even newer to LinuxMCE so sorry if these are dumb questions:

I have a Gigabyte MB with Intel GMA X4500HD. Should this support alpha blending etc out of box? I can only get the system working if select basic otherwise a OpenGL error comes up when loading orbiter. I have read about updating Nvidia drivers but unsure if there is a solution similar for Intel? Wiki stats intel chipset should work with anything after 7.04 so hoping this board is no different and its a quick fix.

I have the system working under basic graphics mode and otherwise from random blank screens appears to be working ok. Plays some DVD's but errors on some. I have seen another post on that so will try that fix if can get TV working:

Current issue is trying to install Nova-TD-500(not diversity model from what can tell). I have read various posts on the card and everything suggests should be working under 8.10. Could someone please confirm this will work and if so how to install? I have tried adding it to the MD via web admin as a PVR-500 but nothing seems to happen and not sure if thats even the correct setting.

When I open MythTV there is an error about PnP (Presume that is trying to say no tv card?) and then displays a database details page (ie server address, username, password etc) it is set to localhost with standard setting but when click next I get error unable to connect? Do I need to set this up somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Newbie installation questions - Nova-TD-500 and Intel GMA X4500HD
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:05:25 pm »

Complete newbie to Linux and even newer to LinuxMCE so sorry if these are dumb questions:
Hi There and Welcome!
I have a Gigabyte MB with Intel GMA X4500HD. Should this support alpha blending etc out of box? I can only get the system working if select basic otherwise a OpenGL error comes up when loading orbiter. I have read about updating Nvidia drivers but unsure if there is a solution similar for Intel? Wiki stats intel chipset should work with anything after 7.04 so hoping this board is no different and its a quick fix.
The GMA-X4500HD has so far only supported UI1...on paper at least it should handle UI2 + Overlay...but thats on paper...
I have the system working under basic graphics mode and otherwise from random blank screens appears to be working ok. Plays some DVD's but errors on some. I have seen another post on that so will try that fix if can get TV working:

Current issue is trying to install Nova-TD-500(not diversity model from what can tell). I have read various posts on the card and everything suggests should be working under 8.10. Could someone please confirm this will work and if so how to install? I have tried adding it to the MD via web admin as a PVR-500 but nothing seems to happen and not sure if thats even the correct setting.
Drop me a PM with your email address via the forum and I will send you a pre-built v4l package that should get your T-500 working for you.

When I open MythTV there is an error about PnP (Presume that is trying to say no tv card?) and then displays a database details page (ie server address, username, password etc) it is set to localhost with standard setting but when click next I get error unable to connect? Do I need to set this up somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

You need to run MythTV backend setup on the Core... adding your capture cards etc (you'll need a working T-500 for that though) and you then also need to run MythTV backend setup on each MD too (even if you have no local capture cards)

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 05:09:26 am »
Hi

After hitting wall with Beta1 I put this aside but as of yesterday reinstalled with beta2(DVD does not work but web install had no issues).

I'm now back to trying to get this Nova-TD-500 working. So far:

Installed MCE and checked everything seems to be working, installed the Nova card and ran the V412-Modules package Andrew provided that appeard to be successful.... Now what? :)

Was hoping it would be PnP but not so lucky I'm presuming since MCE did not appear to setup automatically I need to add the card somewhere like PVR capture card in MD but is not listed. I did try PVR 150 and USB as I recall in past these being mentioned but do not appear to work.

Is there a way for me to check the system has actually installed the card properly?

Cheers

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:32:04 am »
Hi Kezza

....Computing, web admin, login, wizard, devices, media directors.....add your t500 as  PVR500 tuner1&2 ,update, quick reload router.
Goto ... computing, myth setup, tuner cards... and it should be there....(use arrow keys to navigate in myth)
if not goto a command line and ...    lsusb.......it should be listed

regards,
Ian

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:07:49 pm »
Hi Ian

Thanks heaps for the reply. Leaving for wedding 1st thing tomorrow so will give this a go on Tuesday when I'm back.

Cheers
Kerry

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:38:24 am »
I have added the cards in web-admin and when update I noticed MCE installed some things bug failed getting IVTV drivers.

Also ran lsusb and one of the entries is Bus 010 Device 002: ID 2040:8400 Hauppauge so I presuming its installed ok.

I have found the following in wiki:

Currently the ivtv-firmware packages are not being installed by default along with the other ivtv packages, which means that the card is not initialized properly. The fix is simple: Alt-Ctrl-2 into a session and issue the following commands:
   apt-get install ivtv-firmware
   rmmod ivtv
   modprobe ivtv

I presume ALT-CTRL-2 just shortcut to get to KDE-Desktop cmd?

Anyway I tried running 'apt-get install ivtv-firmware' and does following:

Reading package lists... Done
Reading stage information....Done
E: Couldn't find package ivtv-firmware

Am I doing something wrong is is there an issue?

Cheers
Kerry

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:39:08 pm »
guys...

I _REALLY_ WISH people would HELP US ON MAKING DEVICE TEMPLATES, SO THAT THIS MANUAL SETUP WOULDN'T BE NECESSARY.

-Thom