Author Topic: Systems Model / Code architecture  (Read 3759 times)

mattlindsay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Systems Model / Code architecture
« on: October 09, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
Guys,

A)
Has anyone attemptted to model the code base/system in a sensible/logical way? (UML/SysML etc).

B)
Do we have a coherent dev plan or WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)? I read Thom's letter to the community and was interested to know if the Team Structure idea got off the ground?

Cheers

Matt

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Systems Model / Code architecture
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 02:49:52 pm »
Some people have tried to use Doxygen to document the code, however some say it's a CPU hog. You can try and post, if you'd like.

Right now, the plan is to get into beta (i.e. get past the DVD blocker). Once we're in beta, then it is fixing bugs (i.e. no new features). Once the bugs are fixed, then we'll go into 'release' mode. After 'release' mode, then we will begin to look at 0910.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 02:52:36 pm »
The system architecture is so large, that even a doxygen run takes a day and a half.

-Thom

mattlindsay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 04:02:58 pm »
Yes, I can imagine that a "code documentation" approach would be massive!

I was wondering more about the structure of how the core works, what nodes it communicates with, relationships between classes etc. Any kind of meta-model or anything?

Is there perhaps, even a diagram/documents mapping the different areas of development... UI, Message Routing, Hardware Support, Documentation, etc?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 04:07:04 pm »
Did you read the Developers Guide?

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Developers_Guide

-Thom

mattlindsay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:11:45 pm »
oh yes, someone's put in some hard work there, and I just found http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Overview_of_the_software_modules

I think that points me in the right direction. I'm quite a visual person (and a systems engineer) so looking top down is sort of in my blood! I'll read up furtherto get my head around what is going on here and how best I can chip in to either pull things together, or just contribute to little bug fixes.

Anyone got a work breakdown structure? (i.e. who's working in what areas)? From the old threads I've been reading it looks like we're a little thin on the ground!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 04:24:48 pm »
There are very few of us who are working on it. I know more of the code base than just about anyone else, (except the guy who architected it, and the former pluto employee who now works for totallymaxed), posde does release engineering. Hari is currently on hiatus putting together a mini version of the system for a client.... merkur2k does some hacking from time to time on various aspects that we ask.... sambuca is squashing some bugs...but really, we don't have enough people to even dictate any sort of structure. It's moot even bringing this up.

-Thom

mattlindsay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 04:26:51 pm »
Cool man, thanks for filing me in, I appreciate that.

You guys have done an incredible job then, congrats.

Keep up the great work guys!

Matt

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »
Join the team on freenode in #linuxmce-devel to speak more.