Author Topic: CD1 could not be cached  (Read 5556 times)

davidpm

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
CD1 could not be cached
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:32:47 am »
Hi,
  I'm trying to get LinuxMCE up and running.  I was able to do a full DVD install on an older machine, but I just built a new machine that is powerful enough to be a hybrid.  I tried the DVD install and kept getting kicked to the command prompt.  Someone suggested that I use 804 because the machine was new and do a CD install.  I was able to get 804 installed and copied the ISO to the hard drive.  I did a fresh install of the two discs for both the 32 and 64 bit versions.  Every time I try to install LinuxMCE, I get an error message that says that the install failed because CD1 could not be cached. 

How can I work around this?   I'm fairly new to Linux, so if I need to post any logs, I'll need some direction.

Thanks!

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: CD1 could not be cached
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:00:38 am »
Hi,

First of all LMCE comes in 2 versions.

A 710 based Kubuntu version and a 810 based Kubuntu version.

Since the 710 version is long in the tooth and newer PC hardware is probably incompatible with the 710 release go with the 810 variant.

Kubuntu 804 will not work.  See this link.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_alpha2

Cheers.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:22:32 am »

Svere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:29:49 am »
Hi,

first thing: im german, so please be gentle for mistakes. ;-)

I installed kubuntu on my HTPC as well (Vista on another drive, too). The Version is 8.10 64 bit. I´ve downloaded the LinuxMCE version how called

LinuxMCE-CD1-amd64-rc2.iso

LinuxMCE-CD2-amd64-rc2.iso

When i want to install LinuxMCE, ive got the message that the CD could not cached.

If i choose the images, then the first packages seems to be installed, but stop then with the same reason: Could not cache...

Do someone knowes whats wrong?

Thanks for help

Svere

PS: my System

AM2 Board Asus M3n78 Pro - Athlon II x2 240 CPU - 2 GB RAM - 2x 250 GB HDD (SATA) - ATI X1900XT - Skystar II TV-Karte DVB-S
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:50:41 am by Svere »

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:25:31 pm »
Hi,

You can not install CD1 and CD2 on 8.10 64 bit.

CD1 and CD2 are built for the 7.10 variant of Kubuntu.

Please follow theses instructions...

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_alpha2

Please use 8.10 32 bit install.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:59:40 pm »
All information relating to installation, Kubuntu versions, and even a link to the 0810 alpha installation instructions can be found here:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ#How_do_I_install_LinuxMCE.3F

Please read the whole FAQ before continuing - you clearly need to do more research to understand what you are getting into.

Also, realize that 0710, which is based on Kubuntu 7.10, does NOT support the latest hardware.  If you have hardware incompatibilities, you will need to either wait it out, use older hardware, or jump in on the 0810 alpha, which is under development.

Svere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 05:20:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply,

i installed the DVD-Version from Linux-MCE 0710. First i had the ATi X1900XT installed and the installation ran without problems. At the moment the AV-Wizard starts the PC seems to be slow; the mouse jerks and at the first time i see the video, then the System find a device do not work korrekt, i have to klick "ok", then i only can hear the voice, thats guides me through the Wizard.
The Wizard didn`t find my TV-Card and no Remote- Control, so i think i have to install a driver for them later.
When i restarted the system the next trouble come: Can not mount the selected partition. The first thing is, that my Vista isn`t listed in Grub, the second is that Linux does not start. Reading the FAQ brought the sokution to start linux. The Device for Linux was (0,0). But i installed Linux on a second HDD so i changed the path to (1,0). Linux started.
Because of the Videoproblem i decided to Put out the ATI-Card and use the on Board-Nvidia-Chip (8300) and install LinuxMCE again. I thought that goes faster for me, as to look how to change the videodriver. A word and a blow, linux was installed and i restarted the PC, for my surprise i only see a dark Monitor. It seems like the grafikcard wnts to try to give a picure (the monitor-LED goes gree for a second) but then the screen is black again.

Has someone an idea how to:

- fix the graficproblem - i`ll try the Main-Thread wich hadles my problem and tell if it works....
- change grub, to get windows in the list. ( herefor i rad the FAQ, but i don´t have acces to linux not at all at the console to change something

Hope for answers!

Svere

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:30:49 pm by Svere »

Svere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:19 pm »
The Problem with the black screen seems to be another as the standardproblem. I changed the Videoout from DVI to VGA and it works. But i see the Monitor wants to start and then give up again.

In a short time of a second i can see:

Starting Jamba Deamons     [ok]
Reloading etc/samba/smb.config [ok]

then the Monitor is black again. The next time is see this screen again and so on...

Any ideas?

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 05:48:08 pm »
Hi,

Take a look through this link...

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3931.0

Svere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:43:50 pm »
Hey pigdog,

thanks for the link. I´ve also rad it. But i´m nt sure if it can fix my problem because i see something. but evvereytime "blinks" and in a short time of a second i can see:

Starting Jamba Deamons     [ok]
Reloading etc/samba/smb.config [ok].

But i try to install a nvidia driver.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:52:12 pm »
Hi,

Don't bother with installing a NVIDIA driver!

Your setup has an ATI X1900XT card.

Maybe you should look at this...

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

Svere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 11:17:38 pm »
hi pigdog,

i know, i wrote a lot. so perhaps you didn`t se:

Because of the Videoproblem i decided to Put out the ATI-Card and use the on Board-Nvidia-Chip (8300) and install LinuxMCE again.

So ther is no ATI-Card in there. i use the Nvidia-Chip on Board.

Can you tell me, how i can change the grub menu-list?

Svere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 10:44:36 am »
I´ve changed the Menu.lst by starting Linux in recovery-mode. Linux starts now on the correct HDD and Partition. When i want to start Windows, i get an errormessage: could not find bootmgr. I could change the mbr and Boot.ini, so that windows will run correct, but then i delete grub and thats not what i want. When somebody knows how i can get it work...

Also i´ve got problems to install the nvidiadriver by usb-stick. I don´t know where i can find it. Under etc/media/ there is no data from the stick.

Hope for help

Svere

Svere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 12:49:42 pm »
i´ll do it another way:

My family is going to be nervous because they couldn´t look TV or DVD the last four days. So i´ve decided to repair my Vista-Partition, install Mythbuntu on the second HDD and try this Version for the HTPC.
I´m also interested in LMCE, so i will build another PC to test the 0810-Version and learn more about to use Linux.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 02:44:33 pm »
Hi,

In the future when you want to edit menu.lst from LMCE...

press <CTRL/ALT>F1 (this opens a workspace console) hit enter key for login prompt.

Enter username/password.

(To return to LMCE <CTRL/ALT>F7)

Or,

open a terminal from main menu>Advanced>KDE Desktop

open K Desktop icon>Applications>System>Terminal.

Enter username/password.

Then,  using nano, a simple editor.

nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

then you can make your changes for dual boot using partitions or dual HDD's etc.