Author Topic: Hauppauge HVR 1600.........There is a hope !!!  (Read 3320 times)

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
Hauppauge HVR 1600.........There is a hope !!!
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:24:16 am »
Hello guys,

Little intro. I cannot call myself newbiee anymore becasue a year ago, I build linuxmce 7.10 and got it working but then I did not have much money to get cool stuffs so I had to shut down the project. after one year I am giving it a try again. in mean while i have following hardwares purchased.
1. Asus P5Q mother board. (that has one gigabyte lan port on it)
2. Asus Xonar D2 series 7.1 sound card
3. another PCI gigabyte lan adapter
4. Hauppauge HVR 1600 tv tuner card.
5. NVidia 7200 series graphic card.

I tested all my hardwares with Ubuntu one by one. Here is my story for Hauppauge 1600 HVR card.

I tried to set up mythtv on ubuntu 8.10 just a few months ago. during installation I found that nvidia graphic is conflicting with the driver. I followed the guide on this page.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043884

According to this guide, by adding "vmalloc=256M" to /boot/grub/menu.lst file solved my problem and I got card working with mythtv on Ubunut 8.10.

Now, just five days ago I have installed linuxmce 8.10 fresh install and I got my Asus Xonar D2 sound card working just out of the box and got spdif optical output.

Followed by I tried to put Hauppauge 1600 in and when I booted up, It brings me to commandline login. where I can login.
Looks to me once I log in, I am in the home/user directory.
I can use pwd, ls commands and jump back and forth.:))
but,
I have to admit that I am not a lot command person. I can just follow the steps.

I am hoping that going into the grub/menu.lst file and putting that value can solve the problem for me. but I am scared to give it a try without any expert opinion because Linuxmce is not as easy to reinstall as regular ubuntu :))

I am ready to give it a try, can some one help me here and tell me the step to follow please.....???

I will wait for the reply.

Thank you all.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hauppauge HVR 1600.........There is a hope !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 08:25:29 pm »
NO one replying.

Please tell me,,,, If I modify the same grub/menu.lst file,, Am I going to face a huge trouble??

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Hauppauge HVR 1600.........There is a hope !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:43:51 pm »
Hi,

should not give you any trouble.

BTW. you can try out the change when booting. Just press ESC key when aksed to and then use "e" for edit to edit the line you wanted to edit and then press enter and IIRC "b" to boot.

This is not a permanent change, so you can try it out that way with no problems.

Viking