Author Topic: No Signal with hdmi cable.  (Read 7953 times)

Goodfeather

• View Profile
No Signal with hdmi cable.
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:19:08 am »
Hello!

To start I'm fairly new to both Linux and Linuxmce, but I would really like to learn Linux better. I got an old HP DC7600 from my work that I have tried to install Linuxmce on. To add performance I've bought 2gb RAM, 1tb harddrive and a GeForce 9400GT 1024mb.

First I had very much problems to get the nvidia drivers and the xorg file to work, but finally it's starting with the nvidia drivers and not the VESA drivers and I can set the resolution to 1920x1080. Everything seems to work fine except that the hdmi output is not working, well it's working until I start x and then my samung TV says "no signal", it's working when I have a dvi > hdmi cable.

The HDMI cable is working fine on all other sessions except tty6 or something were the X session is, there I just got this "no signal" on the TV.
One thing is that my motherboard doesn't have a spdif output so I can't connect the spdif cable to my GeForce 9400GT.

Thanks very much if someone can help me with this. I can come back with more information when I come home, now I'm at work.

//Peter

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: No Signal with hdmi cable.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:02:40 pm »
Hi,

Are you using the 710 or 810 alpha variant of LMCE?

Cheers.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:48:35 pm »
Try hdmi2 in the AV wizard

Goodfeather

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 10:03:23 am »
I'm using  710, is the alpha better? Actually I didn't know about that version. :D

Well I've done some more testing about this..
1: I cannot come in to AV wizard with neither dvi > hdmi cable or hdmi cable, then I get message "cannot start X". The nvidia drivers seems fine for me, I can use 1920x1080 etc.
2: I think it has something to do with the horizontal and vertical settings in xorg, right now I don't know what I'm using there since I'm at work. :( What should I have on the horizontal and vertical settings? I have a Samsung 40" LED TV.
My screen is "cropped" in the left and the lower side of the screen. I guess this is fixed if I change these settings aswell.

//Peter

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:27:33 pm »
use the lastest alpha version, then come back here....

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 12:10:59 am »

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 03:44:45 am »
If I boot into the MCE on a VGA monitor I see the A/V menu; however, if I boot in using HDMI I have a blank screen. I know that with 710 installs you can use the keyboard shortcuts to select which input/output option for video you want to use. Those same options do not seem to work with 810, do they? How else can I get the HDMI to be my primary video out?  :-\ ???

Thanks.

PS. I am a "virgin" Linux user, so please use one syllable answers....  :D

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 05:59:16 pm »
Hi,

Boot and hold down the shift key to bring up the AVWizard.

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 07:40:00 pm »
I tried holding the Shift key with no change. I see the AV screen while the PC is connected via a VGA cable. How do I "turn on" HDMI output, so that I can see the same AV menu?

By the way, I do not know if this makes any difference, I am using the Zotac A-U board.

Thanks,

Lev

ladekribs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 07:50:14 pm »
Hi Lev,

I had the same problem, so I started the AVWizard from  a putty windows (other computer), and saw that AVWizard complained about the graphic driver, so I started KDE and selected the correct driver, after that I got HDMI working but only 720p of some reason.

BR Stefan

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 10:49:03 pm »
use the keys "1" and "Q" to choose the DVI/HDMI outputs 1 and 2 once you are in the AV Wizard and have a black screen. Note: wait at least 15 seconds after pressing a key so that X has time to change and restart. Also try different resolutions (keys "6" - "0") in case your monitor is struggling with the default 640x480.

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 11:22:18 pm »
I tried using the 1-5 keys to no avail. Also tried to change the resolution. Zilch... When I am runing the PC connected to a VGA monitor the "number" keys do not work on 810. Maybe its the alpha release issue...

I used this Zotac A-U board with Windows and HDMI out worked...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 12:27:59 am »
arrgh! last try, have you tried "Q"?

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 04:50:11 am »
I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers and that seemed to do the trick!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to all for the advices. Now, to try to figure out how to add network shares...

Thanks,

Lev

Goodfeather

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 08:54:41 am »
Hello!

I installed kubuntu 810 and it seems to be working very well with kde on the hdmi output. Though I didn't complete the installation by installing linuxmce on 810, my girlfriend have been taking all my time recently. :)

My question before I continue tonight is, is linuxmce working on kubuntu 904 aswell? I have searched for that on google but haven't really found an answer.

//Peter