Author Topic: No internet on Diskless MD's  (Read 4502 times)

Zerk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
No internet on Diskless MD's
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:34:14 pm »
release 810 core/hybrid + 2 diskless MD extenal apears to be on eth0 and internal to eth1 the core has internet access but MD dont and cant get drivers to download
plug and play and net boot all work fine have a 2 nic setup modem is into eth0 card built in and eth1 local pci add in card. internet is thew starband sat provider. md's boot to
linuxmce menu black back ground videos from core are presnt but cant play as MD are in a limbo of downloading nvidia glx , pluto nvidia, and mozzila. been at this for 2 weeks now and im stuck.  ???

I hope its not the starband as wont have cable internt in my area for another 9 months  :-\

Thanks in advance
Karl

Edit forgot an item in the admin web under network setting it shows 3 network adapters but only 2 are in the system is that the 1 on the MD showing up?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:39:52 pm by Zerk »

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: No internet on Diskless MD's
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:34:31 pm »
Their were anumber of us that ecperiencedthe same-   I think it was found that if you login to the web admin pages, go to the network pages where it lists three nics and press update at the bottom-  Iif u remember correctly. 

Or, see this thread
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8674.msg58797#msg58797

Zerk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:38:54 pm »
thankyou for the quick responce looking at it now will reply back soon as i check.

Zerk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »
Updated and reebooted still shows 3 adapters and core is still only device with internet access. noticed another thing in the admin network setting it shows the external and internal as same Mac: that of the onboard eth? but in my ect/udev/70-present_net it shows that of the second card? the netmanager in desktop show 2 connections eth0 unmanaged and eth1 activated witch looks as if its backward. not shure as im still new to linux. did try the swap in the net settings. still no change.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:54:59 pm by Zerk »

Zerk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 08:30:29 pm »
shut down removed the second network card restated and updated shows 2 adapters restart and replace looks asif its in single card mode as the advanced network setting shows Internal and external as same MAC: being detected as first 2 adapters and then replace 2nd card third how do i change the internal mac shown in settings of admin page to that of second card?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:17:07 pm by Zerk »

Zerk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 12:06:24 am »
Ended up starting over from scratch now the network settings read 2 adapters and eth0, eth1
now ive seen the correct network settings page i noticed where the error was it had eth0:1 and eth0
dont know why it was eth0:1 instead of just eth1 but was perhaps where it was seeing 3 adapters.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:55:31 pm »
eth0:1 is an aliased device.  The hardware used is eth0, but you can use it as a separate interface.  You should NOT have aliased devices with LinuxMCE - this will case lots of network problems.

You should install Kubuntu and LinuxMCE after you install both NICs.  Read other posts and the FAQ for more details.

Zerk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:22:36 pm »
thankyou learning a little more. my first install i did with the onboard nic only not knowing how hard adding the second nic would be. second attempt install didnt go so well lots errors. during the Kunbuntu install i chose my location bahamas. im on third now  ::) but this time i chose NY and now its nice and fast no errors.
didnt notice the BS. not US. on download.
who ever picked BS as our county code must not have been too bright, or a genius   :P

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:45:06 pm »
BS, doesn't that stand for Bachelor of Science? :P I'm sure that's what you're thinking of...

What kind of errors did you get with BS selected?  I don't see why that would change anything.

Zerk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:23 pm »
lots of failed to download and crawling download however im on a slow sat internet connection and somtimes it can be buggy. 5 months till fiber ....... fingers crossed.