Author Topic: alpha 2.28 issues  (Read 8567 times)

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
alpha 2.28 issues
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:00:40 pm »
I have upgrade to alpha 2.28 and have now got the following issues.

1. From an MD i was unable to connect to the Internet. I was able to fix it with the following command
Code: [Select]
echo 1 >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwarding

2. I am now unable to create a new MD. The PXE boot process starts but just after the network comes up I get a message that it can't connect to the router and reboots.

gadget

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: alpha 2.28 issues
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:21:59 am »
Hi,

I've just rebuilt from scratch (now at 2.29) and will have to add my MD's.

I'll watch for your problem.

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:06:10 am »
gadget-  I got the same....  unable to connect to router, rebooting in 3 seconds.   (maybe it says 5 seconds).

I have not applied your patch, but I too am unable to connect to the internet on MDs or a win box that is downstream of the core on the internal network.

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »
I have now updated to 2.29 and still have issues adding an MD.

huh
What version are you running. 

Pigdog.
Have you tried adding your MD's yet. I will do a reload if it works for you.

gadget

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »
0.29-  I've tried to make it a practice os checking the wiki everynight and updating as available.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 02:57:29 pm »
Hi,

Made an MD everything up.

This is what I do...no doubt someone will say not that way, etc but this works for me.

After MD diskless shell runs and system reboots you do AVWizard it reboots and you get the screen with cursor.  The system is building the orbiter screens.

On the Core it'll say you added some new blah, reload the router.  Click OK.

Get into webadmin and open up orbiters.  At this point the screen on the MD is blank - no cursor.

Go to the MD orbiter and select quick regen.  Go to Media Directors then back to orbiter - just to refresh the view.

Now you'll see a orbiter screen build bar at the bottom of the MD orbiter screen.

That'll take about 30-40 minutes to complete.

When fiinished reboot the MD.

Setup Sarah.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:13:02 pm by pigdog »

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 05:30:24 pm »
Gadget-   Does your new mds announce themselves to the core/router?   Mine die right after it says it is connected at 100 full duplex.  The screen clears with nothing written except at the very top lime where it talks about not connection to the router and rebooting in ...   This repeats on a continuous loop.   Going to rebuild from scratch tonight.

On a side note-   Now with the cache,  can we save the 400+ mB file so I'm not taking up extra bandwidth to dl a video I already have?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 07:15:02 pm »
I had a problem with new mds not connecting and rebooting after I performed and aptitude dist-upgrade on my core to alpha 2.28.  Re-installing the core seems to have fixed that issue and my mds are created just fine now. 

Apt-cache-ng will not save you DLing the 400 mb video file because you are re-installing (erasing) the machine which would have the cache on it (the core).  It will only save bandwidth when updating MDs.

I use apt-cache-ng on a machine outside the LMCE network and point apt on my core to it.  That caches apt on all of my other ubuntu/debian machines as well.

As a side note, apt-cache-ng doesn't look like it installed on my core during my fresh alpha 2.29 install yesterday.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:01:44 pm »
phenigma,

As a side note, apt-cache-ng doesn't look like it installed on my core during my fresh alpha 2.29 install yesterday.

There seem to be an issue with new-installer.
It do not contain apt-cacher-ng stuff.

Gonna solve that asap.

/niz23

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 10:08:10 pm »

Gonna solve that asap.

/niz23

Awesome, thanks.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 10:37:07 pm »

Gonna solve that asap.

/niz23

Awesome, thanks.

It´s now committed to our svn and will be included in next alpha release.
For now apt-cacher-ng will only be automatically installed when you install a new core with the new new-installer script that will be available next alpha release.

I will publish a short wiki article how to update previous alpha releases to contain apt-cacher-ng.

In short you do "apt-get install apt-cacher-ng" on your core.
Then create a file named 02proxy in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ on your core.
The file should contain only on row. Like below:

Acquire::http { Proxy "http://localhost:3142"; };

To manually configure your previously created MDs you need to copy this 02proxy file to /usr/pluto/diskless/<MDid>/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/
Be sure to change localhost so that your MD point to either your core´s hostname or your internal IP.
Example 02proxy file for MDs:

Acquire::http { Proxy "http://192.168.80.1:3142"; };

Everytime you do apt-get update or dist-upgrade from your core or from MDs already downloaded packages will be fetched from apt-cacher-ng´s cache.

/niz23

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 09:37:56 am »
I have re-built my core today(alpha 2.29) and i am now able to create/add my MD's.  problem solved!!.

I manually copied /var/cache/apt/archives to a USB drive to speed up the reload.

gadget

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 10:46:06 pm »
Same for me-  md announced itself and is curentlu downloading the packages.  Whoo hoo!

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 02:02:57 am »
Don't know if I should hijack this thread or start a new one, but re-installed everything to 2.29 and and still not able to connect to the internet on mds or the core.  Another oddity is that the admin pages now say that I have (3) network adapters.  I have have my typical eth0 and eth1 but there is a third eth0:avahi.

I know changes were made to detect the NICs on the system- does anyone else see n+1 nic cards on their machines?

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 02:15:34 am »
Hi,

I reloaded from scratch 2.29 and "no problem" with eth assignments.