Author Topic: problem displaying on new Samsung LCD TV  (Read 4676 times)

talthoff

• View Profile
problem displaying on new Samsung LCD TV
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:57:06 am »
I have had my hybrid running on a regular LCD monitor in my office for a few weeks with no problems.  I went to move the system to my main tv but have been having problems.  I am unable to get the system to load when connected to the TV.  I hear the beeps.  I have tried hitting buttons 1 & 2 but i get no response.  My TV says "mode not supported"

I have tried to run the av wizard while connected to the tv but i can't get into the wizard.  I have also tried to run the AV wizard with my monitor then moving the system to the tv with the correct settings (1920 x 1080) but still nothing.  Any suggestions?

System has nvidia 8400 gs video card
DVI to VGA adapter to tv

TV is a Samsung 52" LCD LN52B63
1920 x 1080 60 hz
I have tried to change the source and return to pc but no fix.

I have tried from my winXP laptop and it works fine...Anything else i am missing?

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: problem displaying on new Samsung LCD TV
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:25:53 am »
Hi,

Are you running 710 or 810?

talthoff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:31:08 am »

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 04:39:34 am »
Do you mean LCD LN52B630?  The 120 HZ model?

If so you will probably have to update the nvidia video drivers, but, you might want to think about going with the 810 alpha as some new AVWizard stuff is out.

Updated AVwizard notes;

The new AVwizard now allows you to select primary & secondary HDMI/VGA connectors using the keyboard. Press '1' for HDMI 1 and 'Q' for HDMI 2 and press '2' for VGA 1 and 'S' for VGA 2. Once in the Graphical AVwizard UI you will notice that these new connectors are now available for selection. you will also notice that the AVwizard now has a new screen layout for selecting the Audio output and also includes 'HDMI' as one of the output connector options. Select 'HDMI' from this screen if you want Stereo output then in the following screen respond 'No' to Dolby Digital and DTS. If you want surround audio to be routed out of the HDMI connector (mainly used with surround amplifiers with HDMI inputs) then select 'HDMI' and then answers 'yes' to the Dolby Digital & DTS wizard screens.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:45:12 am by pigdog »

talthoff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 05:04:52 am »
yes, that is the model...

can i get some basic help on loading new nvidia drivers?

FYI i left my hybrid running and plugged my monitor in and it is in fact running. 

I will look at running the 8.10 version but am concerned this is still bata,any real concerns?

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 05:13:25 am »
Hi,

It's alpha.  The wikis will help you to update.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:38:48 am »
What is the specific video card model? Is the DVI out on the card DVI-I or DVI-D? If it's DVI-D then a regular dvi-vga adapter will not work - you'll need something like the HDFury2. If it's DVI-I then you probably need a custom modeline in your xorg.conf file.

:Matt

talthoff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 06:40:02 am »
ok, i have updated the nvidia drivers.  i also found some information in the user manual for the tv to auto adjusting the source for the input.  what is really odd is that i don't have this option.  here are is a copy of the section from the manual.

is my issue because i am converting from dvi to vga on the linuxmce hybrid.  When i connected to my laptop i am using a vga only.

Setting up the TV with your PC
  Preset: Press the SOURCE button to select PC mode.
Auto Adjustment
  Use the Auto Adjust function to have the TV automatically adjust the video signals it receives.
  The function also automatically fine-tunes the settings and adjusts the frequency values and
  positions.
    Press the TOOLS button to display the Tools menu. You can also set the Auto Adjustment
    by selecting Tools → Auto Adjustment.
This function does not work in DVI-Digital mode.

talthoff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 06:45:51 am »
qball4 - the card is MSI N8400GS-TD512  i don't see any documentation between dvi-d and dvi-i...

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:03:29 am »
It looks like a DVI->HDMI adapter will work with the card, so that means it must be DVI-D. Unless the card's DVI port can act as DVI-I as well, a regular DVI->VGA adapter wll not convert digital to analog. Do you have an extra HDMI port on your TV? If so, I'd try an adapter. They're only $4 or so at monoprice.

:Matt

talthoff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 08:42:00 pm »
ok, i went to the store today and bought a dvi -> HDMI cable.  It is working after i ran the av wizard and had to select 1.  I will keep playing with this.  I don't think my TV likes having sound not coming through the HDMI cable.  I have seen some HDMI sound injectors but that is a whole nother issue...Thanks for all your help!

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 08:54:59 pm »
Hi,

If you have an input that has HDMI video and analog stereo sound you could use that.

Just make sure AVWiz is set for it.

Cheers.

talthoff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:36:07 am »
ok, i did find that another input on the tv had HDMI video with analog audio.  I have watched my first ripped dvd on the system and have a few video glitches.  it seems during fast changes on the video it creates these white horizontal sections...I am researching this now...

ckerkhoff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 04:07:12 am »
Are you using UI2 with Alpha Blending? If you are try switching to UI2 with masking(the medium setting).

talthoff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 02:36:25 pm »
it does look better but now when the camera stays still and someone enters a room (walking across the scree) the image shadows there previous position

I am running the latest nvidia drivers.  i have seen some articles on changing some of the nvidia settings on the drivers but an not sure where to make these changes...