Author Topic: Painless Upgrading  (Read 4465 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Painless Upgrading
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:48:37 pm »
I am still in the process of building my system and know that 0810 is coming eventually and would like to update to it when it is available, but I have some questions.

I have a small system, but am adding devices constantly and it is growing quickly.  At any rate, I have a lot of time in configuring this system and don't understand what systems are in place to make upgrading to a new version painless by maintaining our current configurations.

Can someone who has upgraded and/or understands the system either explain to me how this process works or point me in the direction of this discussion/wiki?  I have searched both the boards and the wiki but have not had much luck in coming up with the information.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Painless Upgrading
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:42:12 pm »
Hi los93sol,

Are you talking about doing backup & restore?  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Backup_and_Restore

I've never tried it but maybe someone else has.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:20:05 pm »
Yes, that is exactly what I was after.  It does look like the information there is a bit dated, can anyone tell me if there are issues going from 710-810 using that procedure?

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:55:29 pm »
Yeah, I'm a little curious too.  I've got a couple of templates that I have to modify to my requirements.

It would be nice to know if they get saved or booted out on a restore.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:59:00 am »
There is currently no upgrade path from 0710 to 0810.
you should *never* modify built-in templates. Make new ones if the existing ones dont fit your needs, and if they would be usefull to others they should be submitted for inclusion in the database.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:31:47 pm »
Merkur: To clarify, are you saying that the backup and restore won't take care of restoring our configuration?  And if so, will that be true for 810 to the next update?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:54:56 pm »
That is correct so far as i know.
0810 and future upgrades should be handled entirely through the normal ubuntu upgrade paths.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 10:23:41 pm »
Hi,

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood backup and restore.

I thought it had to do with the mySQL database.  Things like device templates, associated fields, etc. would be backed up then restored.

Your MD's would be restored without having to re-discover etc.

If you had made modification to a template, like adding a couple of more inputs to a TV then you'd lose that but standard fields would be there.

I didn't think it covered changes between operating systems upgrades, just database stuff.

I'd be pretty upset if I was running mySQL 4.0 and I'd have to manually input my database just because I upgrade to mySQL 5.0.

If I remember correctly 710 ran mySQL 5.0 and 810 is using mySQL 5.0, or, to paraphrase above, I don't know bodiddly about what backup and restore does - sorry.

I guess the next time I need to rebuild 8.10 I can at least try a backup and restore to see what happens on a 810 to 810 restore - best I can offer.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:40:25 pm by pigdog »

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:55:25 am »
I personally managed to find out, that the "backup" feature in "7.10 -- Advanced -- Configuration -- Backups" ATM doesn't work - at least when I tried to backup my old configuration and restore it on new reinstalled 7.10 LMCE... I must confess also, I never "digged" into the issue, since the 8.10 is coming shortly.

Hope this helps a bit

Bye
Simon
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:51 pm »
Hi,

The script responsible for generating backups is /usr/pluto/bin/PlutoRestorePoint.sh

It looks like it does this...

-pluto_main database
-asterisk database
-files needed by the web admin
   - floorplans, users, rooms, scenarios
-the pluto.conf config file

If you have media on your LMCE HDD, or mythtv stuff, vdr, etc this stuff would probably be lost.  You may be able to mod the script - I don't know.

As I mentioned above, if I have to reload 810 again I will try a backup restore to see what happens.

Cheers.