Author Topic: New device not showing on media tab  (Read 2804 times)

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New device not showing on media tab
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:28:05 pm »

I have been creating some new device templates for my Receive/DVD/Projector and Cable box and i am unable to get the cable box to display as a device on the media tab. I do have the radio for my receiver and TV/DVD for my DVD player but cannot get the cable box to show.

If i go to the resend codes the device is however there, but i don't get a nice orbiter controller window.
which of the options in the template result in a device being added to the media tab.

gadget

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: New device not showing on media tab
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:57:11 pm »
All of those buttons are actually "scenarios" which essentially are "macros" for sending commands, they aren't just menu items in the traditional sense. Of course in this case, the commands they generally send are "screen" commands that throw you into the appropriate screen for the item in question, so similar to shortcuts... Many scenarios are autogenerated based on the system's understanding of devices, which is what has happened with your other devices. However, the device that isn't appearing, simply isn't a device that it understands how to autogenerate a scenario for based on its configuration.... ie the same as most devices, because most devices don't make sense in the paradigm of a menu item.

I'm not sure about cable boxes as I haven't added one, but it seems as though one should appear for that type of device (after a full regen of course). I don't know what criteria LMCE uses to determine whether to generate one, however gut feeling would suggest ensuring that the device category is correct, Device Controlled by is set correctly, the room and entertainment areas are correct, the device controlled by category is correct, and the AV pipes are set up. These seem to be the main items that LMCE uses to determine how to treat a device....

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:07:25 am »
I dont see why a scenario would be generated for just a cable box, as it is not a media device itself. rather, it would be swallowed by the mythtv/vdr "tv" scenario or a "live tv" scenario for whatever tv or display device it is hooked to.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:09:13 am »
true

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:18:54 pm »
I have managed to get my cable box displaying as an option now in the media tab. I originally had the template configured with a single input with no control. Once I changed it to mutiple discrete inputs but only select 1 (Live TV) i got my device and can now control it from my PDA orbiter.

gadget