Author Topic: Disk Drive for Windows  (Read 26489 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Disk Drive for Windows
« on: March 18, 2005, 11:06:33 pm »
Hello,

I really prefer using a windows-based Media-Director, because I am using VirtualDisk as a DVD-Server. So far I could not find a similar software-solution for Linux.
Will I be able to use this DVD-archive with Pluto soon ?

thanks
 Heiermann

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Disk Drive for Windows
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 09:57:52 am »
I'm not familiar with VirtualDisk.  I found this: COMPAREX - INFINISTORE VirtualDisk on the internet.  Is that what you're using?

You don't need any special software under Linux to archive your DVD's and play them off the hard drive.  The way Pluto does it is to use 'dd' to backup the DVD a single file containing a byte-for-byte copy, and then 'mount' it when you want to watch it.

I'm not sure how VirtualDisk does it and if the file format is compatible.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Disk Drive for Windows
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 11:29:31 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
I'm not familiar with VirtualDisk.  I found this: COMPAREX - INFINISTORE VirtualDisk on the internet.  Is that what you're using?

Hi,

VirtualDisk is a Windows-Application to mount Images in a virtual CD/DVD-Drive and use it like a regular Disk.
You can even provide those virtual Disks over the network.

You don't need any special software under Linux to archive your DVD's and play them off the hard drive.  The way Pluto does it is to use 'dd' to backup the DVD a single file containing a byte-for-byte copy, and then 'mount' it when you want to watch it.

I am not that familiar with linux. I only looked for a standard-application like the one for Windows. I did not know, that there is a built-in - feature like "dd". How does it look like, when I want to mount a certain ISO-File ?
How many Images can Pluto handle ?

I'm not sure how VirtualDisk does it and if the file format is compatible.

The format of my Images is .ISO and .IMG. They are stored on an external Disk-Array and connected via Serial-ATA to my Server.

-Heiermann

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Disk Drive for Windows
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 06:38:15 pm »
We don't have the media ripping up and going yet.  It is probably another week or two away yet since we're working on a media identification engine to id the cd or dvd and get cover art.

The formats may be the same.  The size is just the size of the dvd.  Single layer dvd's are under 5GB, and dual can be up to 9GB or so.  I think most dvd's are something like 7.  There's no compression -- it's just a raw copy of the disc.  And when you play it, it's exactly like playing the real disc, with menus, subtitles, etc.

The code that mounts a ripped disc is in the src/Disk_Drive project, file Disk_Drive.cpp, function: bool Disk_Drive::mountDVD(string fileName, string &strMediaUrl)

You'll see the function: void Disk_Drive::CMD_Start_Ripping_DVD(string &sCMD_Result,Message *pMessage)
isn't implemented yet.  That's where the ripping will go.  I know it's just a single dd command, which is part of Linux, but don't have that in front of me at the moment.