Author Topic: DNS-323 Printer server can no longer print from Windows PC  (Read 4123 times)

rednaxelan

• View Profile
Just setup my LinuxMCE system without too many issues at all but this one definitely has me stumped. First let me point out that I am a Linux newb, so be gentle.
I have a D-Link DNS-323 NAS that has a built-in print server (Canon PiXma IP6700D attached) that was working perfectly before I bought my Core online. My core is now running my network (dual NICs etc) and I just noticed that all of my windows machines can no longer print to the printer on the NAS.
I am fairly sure that there is some sort of permissions issue going on as I get "access denied" errors if I try to delete a job sent to the printer. The Windows machines seem to connect to the printer fine but flat refuse to print test pages or anything else. I did manage to get one print job out, after restarting the NAS but it wont print anymore after that. The NAS is added as a device within MCE and I have a single share (no security on it) that works really well for media in/out.
Any suggestions would be appreciated as their doesn't seem to a printer driver for my printer under Linux so I can't move it over to the core and share it out from there.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: DNS-323 Printer server can no longer print from Windows PC
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:10:24 am »
Make sure you have your windows machines on the internal network as well. Also, make sure your windows machines point to the new IP address of the NAS.

rednaxelan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:17:16 am »
Thanks for your reply. Yes, all windows machine are on the internal network and I can connect to the printer either by IP or name. I can happily browse to and read/write from the share on the NAS from all of the Windows machines, but still printing eludes me...

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:53:11 pm »
have you tried printing anything from the core? I would go into the printer settings on KDE and see if the printer shows up there. If it does check the shared settings.

rednaxelan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:21:46 pm »
I had the same thought and checked but the printer doesn't even show up there and because I can't get a Linux driver for this printer its not like I can add it manually either. This is very frustrating, the windows machines really believe that they have successfully printed whatever document I print, but nothing comes out. I have to think that the core has done something to the config of the NAS that is affecting this.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:26:56 pm »
what type of printer is it make/model?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 05:48:42 pm »
Have you tried changing the windows workgroup settings to "LINUXMCE".

This solved a host of my windows networking issues.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

rednaxelan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 05:39:58 pm »
The printer is a Canon Pixma iP6700D.

Seth, tried joining my PCs to the LINUXMCE worlkgroup but still no joy. I notice that when I send a test page to the printer it shows as Spooling and the Printing, after a while the print queue shows the status as Paused then it drops off the queue altogether. Makes no sense at all!! It's too much of a coincidence that this happened at exactly the same time as my core came online for the first time.