Author Topic: How Much Processor Should I Budget for Commflagging?  (Read 3184 times)

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
How Much Processor Should I Budget for Commflagging?
« on: May 10, 2009, 11:04:32 pm »
Is there someone who could comment on how much processor time mythtv commflagging takes in their setup for an episode of whatever TV show they commonly record?

I am trying to figure out how much processor I should budget for a core that will be performing commflagging.

Regards,

Alex

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: How Much Processor Should I Budget for Commflagging?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:49:13 pm »
Its really not something that you need to worry about since commflagging runs in a lower priority process. as long as you have enough processor power for watching your choice of media, youll be fine for commflagging. my rather underpowered core with a A64 3200+ commflags 720p dtv shows at about 22 fps for reference.

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:04:26 pm »
my rather underpowered core with a A64 3200+ commflags 720p dtv shows at about 22 fps for reference.
Great, that's exactly the ballpark figure I was looking for.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 06:22:05 pm »
 ;)
Also keep in mind, that the MythTV function of LMCE is exactly like the Stand alone version. If you have multiple MD's hooked to the system, each one has a slave backend built in, so, the core will push commflag jobs to any other systems (MD's) that are inactive or using less CPU.

I have 4 MD's, and I can pull up the backend status on mythweb, and usually the job hosts are the MD's, leaving the core to have full power for everything else.

My commflag jobs run first, and are then followed by the "Save Recording to Pluto DB" job as well as my "remove-commercials" jobs. Because all 3 jobs run one after the other, the core usually offloads the processes to one of the MD's in the house not being used, or being used very little.

So the more MD's you have, the more the commflag and any other UserJob you schedule from MythTV will be pushed to MD's to save CPU power on your core, or core/hybrid.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:58:18 pm »
wow, that's cool.  I had read about the distributedness of commflagging, but couldn't tell if it worked in LinuxMCE without setting it up.  thanks for the details seth.

regards,
Alex