Author Topic: Outlooksync.msi missing in 7.10 DVD install  (Read 3267 times)

sedgington

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Outlooksync.msi missing in 7.10 DVD install
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:36:47 pm »
I found one other post on this in the forum from last Fall which no one seems to have followed up on. see http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6575.0 The Outlook sync program listed as Outlooksync.msi is missing from the /usr/pluto/installers directory--although there is a link to it on the admin home page. Does anyone have this file so that it could be posted here or in the wiki? It seems that it used to be included and used to work. see http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/OutlookSync So far, the importcontacts.zip which is in the installers directory does not work--repeatedly crashing.

The object here is not so much to use Outlook but to get an idea about how to get contacts into the mysql database without having to do them one by one. I'm kind of surprised that there has been so little interest in this.
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:20:59 pm by sedgington »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Outlook.msi missing in 7.10 DVD install
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:08:48 pm »
If you look at the database, pluto_telecom, the structure is very simple. You can see my Cisco Directory code in the web admin directory which reads from it.

-Thom

sedgington

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Outlooksync.msi missing in 7.10 DVD install
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:41:10 pm »
OK thanks for the hint. But I need a bit of clarification: Do you mean the Cisco Directory implementation that you have downloaded to the forum--which works quite well, by the way--or is there something else in web admin that you are pointing me to?

I looked at pluto_telecom db and it seems like the only two tables that are relevant are Contact and PhoneNumber. I was interested to see how Outlooks sync managed the syncing process between the flat file in Outlook and these two tables as there is really nothing there that keys the contact to the phone number other than the PK_Contact and PK_PhoneNumber which are artificially generated upon creation. I suppose you could sync against email addresses if everyone had one--but there must have been some other solution at hand when Outlook Sync was created. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:06:56 am »
*thwap-you-on-the-head*

YOU'RE THINKING TOO HARD. STOP IT.

All the outlook sync does, is create phone records in pluto_telecom.

*thwap-you-again-for-good-measure* :)

-Thom

sedgington

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:04:32 pm »
What? I'm sorry, but that is exactly what I am trying to do. Since Outlook Sync apparently no longer exists, I'm trying to import phone records into a database that divides its records into two tables. How is that thinking too hard?

Come on, *thwap-you-again-for-good-measure* Back at you. Do you know a solution?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:11:56 pm »
It's not rocket science, man.

Pass through the list, for each,

* Make one entry in Contact
* Find all phone numbers, and match them to the PK_Contact keys., and get the phone number type and use that as the type in the phonenumber table.

Repeat

Shouldn't take more than an hour to write something to do this, and it's outside the scope of this forum. So yeah, I was thwapping you in the head. This isn't hard.

-Thom

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:22:09 am »
Hi,

according to my memory I only succeeded once to extract contacts from Outlook, and never again after that... It just doesn't work for me... So I guess you're not missing it badly...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.