Author Topic: Installing with no Floppy drive  (Read 3090 times)

merv

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Installing with no Floppy drive
« on: March 28, 2009, 05:26:32 am »
I have the 7.10 DVD but at the beginning of the install it just keeps repeating there is an error on fd0 Sector 0.

Is ther some way to get past this problem?

My search terms may not have been good enough to find a previous similar situation. 

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Installing with no Floppy drive
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:59:50 am »
Merv,

Welcome.  A floppy drive is not needed to install linuxmce.  Sounds like your computer is trying to boot from a missing floppy, so you may need to make sure that your computer is setup (in the bios setup) to boot from the cd / dvd.
joseph

david_halliday

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:27:22 am »
You may also have a bad cd image, cd's often boot by using a small emulated floppy section at the begining that contains the boot loader.

Dave.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:22:26 am »
A possibility is that the linux kernel used to drop the installation on your hardware is having difficulty with some incompatibility with your floppy hardware. Go into your BIOS and disable the floppy subsystem completely. Then boot again. You won't need your floppy drive, but if for some reason you do, once it is installed you can always go back into BIOS and re-enable it.

The other possibility that springs to mind is the install image is corrupted - this can cause a range of weird errors - there are two places where corruptions can come from:

1) During the download if you didn't use the torrent to download the image. Either use the torrent, and/or use the md5sum to confirm the integrity of the image once downloaded.

2) During the burn - it is critical that you burn your installation DVD using your burner's slowest possible speed. Re-burn your DVD.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:35:20 am »
I have the 7.10 DVD but at the beginning of the install it just keeps repeating there is an error on fd0 Sector 0.

Is ther some way to get past this problem?

Ignore the problem. The install will continue eventually.

During the install of the DVD version, the install script probes for available drives.

merv

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:11:05 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  I saw the floppy error printed to the screen about 10 times so I exited the install.    I thought the floppy was disabled in the BIOS, I will check that also.

I am pretty sure I had MCE installed once before and I am just trying to find out why I dumped it.  Probably a problem with trying to get it to work with a 1920 x 1080i Monitor.

I'll report on what happened.  Cheerio

merv

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
[ SOLVED ] Re: Installing with no Floppy drive
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 04:58:06 am »
The problem was that the floppy was not disabled in the BIOS,  Once I did that the install proceeded.  Thanks Colin

merv