Author Topic: Boot Freezes  (Read 3297 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Boot Freezes
« on: May 09, 2006, 09:03:53 am »
I am having a problem booting up for the first time after installation. The boot seems to freeze at DCE ROUTER. Any suggestions about what could be the problem?

Of note. The system I am booting is not connected to any network. Could this be a problem. As I test the system I plan to hook it to the network but currently I do not have cable to the test location.

I appreciate the input. By the way the system previosly worked as a fc3 server with mythtv backend installed and fully operating. So I dont expect there are hardware problems.

Regards,

Slamman

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Boot Freezes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:45:35 am »
I had the same problem. It doesn't like not being connected to a network. I re-installed and chose 'Manual Network config' and it worked. i.e. it finished booting.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Boot Freezes
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 05:07:41 am »
I had the same problem. It doesn't like not being connected to a network. I re-installed and chose 'Manual Network config' and it worked. i.e. it finished booting.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Boot Freezes
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:31:14 am »
If you could provide some more information regarding messages received during the boot process it would help people assist in identifying the problem.

In most cases where I have had problems, it has been related to poor quality Boot CD's.  I always burn my boot cds at a speed of 1x or 2x and never any higher as this has caused problems in the past.

NOS

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Boot Freezes
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 10:21:45 am »
it probably tries to look for a dhcp-server... give hime a minute or two...

cheers
andreas

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Boot Freezes
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 04:58:25 pm »
Although we target a full offline installation, this goal wasn't achieved yet. You need an Internet connection, otherwise some dependencies will fail to install and your system will be unusable. Sorry about this.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 07:40:10 am »
I tried all of the suggestions here i.e. manual config...waiting along...long...long (READ:hours) time. The boot never got beyond DCE ROUTER.

Finally I moved the box to another network with an active internet connection, and it fired up first time. I would say there is a problem with booting without an internet connection.

Anyway now that it is up and running I am pretting happy with it and look forward to testing it.

Thanks again for the replies.

slamMan

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Boot Freezes
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 01:09:15 am »
Slamman,
Sorry, forgot the 'other' thing that I did. That was I hooked the box up to a wireless router with a built in DHCP server. That did the trick, but when I did a network boot from a laptop it failed because of dependency issues.

I'll need to get an internet connection to get it to work properly, given the reply from Pluto staff