Author Topic: MD Display dissapears during Video Wizard  (Read 2635 times)

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
MD Display dissapears during Video Wizard
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:17:20 pm »
I booted a MD, it ran through the setup_diskless, rebooted, but when the display mangler started so the Video Wizard could launch the display dissapeared. This MD is a laptop with a DVI and S Video output, but I only have a VGA/DVI monitor at this location so I need to force it to use either the built in display or the dvi output.

I read http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers but I don't get video at either the dvi connector or the built in LCD? I can only get video and complete the Video Wizard with the vesa driver, not the nvidia driver. I have tried the Option "ConnectedMonitor" "XXX" with every variance to no avail?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: MD Display dissapears during Video Wizard
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:38:30 pm »
Editing the xorg.conf file isn't going to help you during the AV Wizard as this is what the AV Wizard is reconfiguring - have you read the  AV Wizard wiki article and thus used the keyboard shortcuts to change the video output connector? Also, use the command line in the recovery console (from the GRUB boot menu) to upgrade your nvidia drivers. Also explained in detail in the article you are reading.

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 11:25:15 pm »
I am only editing the xorg.conf after the av wizard completes with the vesa driver. I then switch back the nvidia driver and try the edits rebooting in between. Its an older Quadro FX 1400 so I never updated the drivers as I don't believe it needs the newer one. If I boot with the nvidia driver, I can only get video on the external dvi connector if I hit tty1. Once I type X the display vanishes.

I tried hitting shift to get the av wizard to start but that didn't seem to do anything (does that work for a diskless MD?).

I presume I might need to update the drivers as mentioned, I avoided this as I am still new to LinuxMCE and doubted I would be able to fix everything that broke.

Thanks.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:19:57 am »
hmm the driver may not help at all then. You haven't said yet whether you have hit the number keys whilst in the AV Wizard (numbers not F keys, like '1' for DVI, etc). Yes shift works for MDs, but give it plenty of time to get to the AV Wizard before hitting the number keys, if you cannot see the screen. Then when you hit them, make sure you leave it at least 15 seconds to settle down before trying anything else. Also try different resolutions using keys 6-0.

The x log file is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log  .. read through that carefully for any errors or clues on which output and resolution it is selecting....

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:24:21 am »
I hooked up a working MD and tried the shift and it worked well, then verified the # keys, not function keys and it did work on the known good MD.
I do know I am in the av wizard though on the laptop as the key presses do cause the laptop lcd to flicker. Next time its on, i will check the log.

Not a big deal, just thought I could make some testing easier with a laptop I don't use...

Thanks!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:48:07 am »
I hooked up a working MD and tried the shift and it worked well, then verified the # keys, not function keys and it did work on the known good MD.
I do know I am in the av wizard though on the laptop as the key presses do cause the laptop lcd to flicker. Next time its on, i will check the log.

Not a big deal, just thought I could make some testing easier with a laptop I don't use...

Thanks!

I guess it could also be a BIOS setting issue as well.... remember laptops manage their screens slightly differently due to the common instance of having the LCD and an external display, and switching between them as either independant or cloned screens. This is often blue <fn>F7 key combination or something like that in an OS, but you are not there yet, so sometimes this can be controlled through the BIOS.