Author Topic: Mounting remote SMB filesystems on Core  (Read 4198 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Mounting remote SMB filesystems on Core
« on: May 16, 2005, 08:31:44 pm »
I have an SMB share on a NAS device with a bunch of media files on it. I've attempted to mount a share from the core (mount -t smbfs //machine/share /home/user/data/movies) but smbfs isn't recognized as a valid fstype. I'm a bit perplexed about this as smbfs support is normally in the kernel. Any ideas?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting remote SMB filesystems on Core
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 02:16:16 pm »
You need to install the smbfs package for samba mounting to be possible. Type apt-get install smbfs at a shell prompt while logged in as root to install it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 12:15:43 am »
That worked like a charm. I'm running a test system before I take the plunge and put Pluto on my main server. Media actually plays without skipping and with no sync issues. I'm running on an old IBM Thinkpad T20 and it's obvious that the disk performance is highly deficient.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 07:49:13 pm »
Just a simple info ...

Are you using something like Linksys USB Network Link (or similar) or did you go for something "harder" ?

Thanks in advance and regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 06:09:02 pm »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
Are you using something like Linksys USB Network Link (or similar) or did you go for something "harder" ?

I am using the built-in ethernet. I believe it is a mini-PCI option.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
I have the same situation
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 01:13:51 am »
I'm in the same position, but still preparing the machine to run as a test Core. I picked up a secondhand Dell PowerVault 715N to use as the network media storage server, and it's been working well so far.

When I get my test Core running I'll definately use the tip in this thread.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
samba share (TeraStation)
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 05:35:41 pm »
Hi,

I had the same problem that you guys had described above and also fixed it with apt-get smbfs.  Now, my files on a samba/smb share (Buffalo Terastation: http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=97) are seen by the MDs and orbiters, but they do not play.  If I copy them over to the core, they play fine.  I thought this may have been a permissions issue, but after looking into that, it's not.  The files are easily accessible by my regular (linux) desktop using smbclient without any permission issues.

I'm using a secure(r) method by mounting with smb credentials in /etc/fstab, but I suspect this is the problem.  Does pluto use a different fstab file?

Thanks to any help you can provide!

Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: samba share (TeraStation)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 10:51:41 pm »
Quote from: "sevprime"

I'm using a secure(r) method by mounting with smb credentials in /etc/fstab, but I suspect this is the problem.  Does pluto use a different fstab file?

I have inserted an NFS-mount into /etc/fstab that works, so smbfs should also work there.

I have used smbfs in another system (not pluto) earlier, but I can't quite remeber the detailed contents of that fstab.