Author Topic: I still can't get it to work?  (Read 3720 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
I still can't get it to work?
« on: April 13, 2006, 07:08:58 am »
Great idea and looks so simple!!!

I managed to get a hybrid going after working out the network issues (see my other post)....but!

The documentation says
http://plutohome.com/support/index.php?section=document&docID=45

"Pluto allows a user to plug in any type of device and automatically configure it and let the user start using it right away without doing anything. The way this is accomplished is with an extension to the DHCP server. When a new device is plugged into the network and requests an IP address, this program connects to a central database to do a lookup of the device's unique MAC address to see what type of device it is. The database defines all the configuration data the device needs to run, and references the software drivers needed. This program then downloads and installs any needed software, adds configuration pages for the device to the user's config website, and adds the device in the user's local database."

So, I plug in a XP Thinkpad laptop into the switch thinking that it will be found and automatically added as a Media director. It doesn't!!!

The laptop aquires an IP address when I connect it, and can access the admin area, so I don't understand why it doesn't work?

Then I chose to do a network boot of the laptop, thinking this may work, but it doesn't.

I'm obviously missing something crucial, but probably simple. Can someone help?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 08:19:55 am »
Pluto is linux at the moment so plugging in a windows machine will not make it a MD.

To make it a MD go to the pluto admin page and add a new MD. Fill out the MD details (primarily the MAC address). Click update and then generate.

Now when you rebot that windows machine and you have it turned onto PXE boot you should get a MD.

Sorry if some of these directions are incorrect (name wise) I don't have access to the screens at the moment but you should get the idea.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 03:46:36 am »
I still don't get it? If the MD is booting from the network why does it matter if it's a Windoze machine? I thought that was the point, that it doesn't go near the installed OS?

I have tried adding it as an MD through the admin area, but no luck so far :(

I'm not sure how the MAC address is added, or rather its format. Should it be

23-e4-fc-sg etc or 23 e4 fc sg etc OR 23:e4:fc:sg ?

Anyway I do it, it doesn't work. You can probably tell I know very little about how this should work, but can't find a definitive answer in the docs that describe exactly how a newb should approach a new installation.

thanks in advance for your help

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 04:58:51 pm »
Quote from: "Paul_Arnott"
I still don't get it? If the MD is booting from the network why does it matter if it's a Windoze machine? I thought that was the point, that it doesn't go near the installed OS?

I have tried adding it as an MD through the admin area, but no luck so far :(

I'm not sure how the MAC address is added, or rather its format. Should it be

23-e4-fc-sg etc or 23 e4 fc sg etc OR 23:e4:fc:sg ?

Anyway I do it, it doesn't work. You can probably tell I know very little about how this should work, but can't find a definitive answer in the docs that describe exactly how a newb should approach a new installation.

thanks in advance for your help

You're on the right track. Procedure (as I remember it) is :
- add MD on web-admin
- setup proper MAC for it (example from mine: 00:11:6B:30:E2:D5 ).
- then Setup Diskless Media Directors  (or yet better reboot Core)
- then PXE boot your media director (it can be windows machine - if you boot it over network, your disk won't be touched - I also use my win laptop from time to time as Pluto MD)....

Then you should get some response either on MD or on Core (dhcp server first).....

Then tell us what happens...

HTH,

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 03:09:35 am »
Thanks Rob,
I've figured out where I was going wrong. Windows gives a MAC address using dashes as seperators, whereas Linux uses colons. Once I changed that I can get the laptop to network boot.

My trouble now is that the boot never completes. it starts looking for packages on the internet and can't load them because i don't have an internet connection at the moment.

It seems to load most from the Core, but stops with an aptget error?

Is it necessary to have an internet connection? Or is there some way around this?

Paul

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 03:34:50 am »
Hi Paul,

Yes, you need to have the core connected to the Internet so that the system works properly.  Apt-get is the Debian Linux program that downloads and installs applications from repositories on the Internet.  Pluto's version of Debian has its own repository dedicated for Pluto applications.  This is why you need to have the core connected to the Internet.

There is a way around this.  It requires downloading all the applications that you would possibly need to a repository in your home network and then pointing apt-get to your repository.  Look at Debian's manuals for how to do this.  I'm not a Debian pro; I normally use Gentoo, so I cannot help you out with the details.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:57:21 am »
Thanks sevak,
I managed to get an MD going by de-selecting everything and then reloading/re-booting one option at a time. Don't know how this works?

I think I'll wait till I get a full-time internet connection and try a clean install of Pluto. I seem to be having lots of problems (MythTV not working with my cards, AMP not installed etc), but will be watching this project with interest while I learn a little Linux!!!
Cheers
Paul