Author Topic: Do I have to use KDE?  (Read 8219 times)

scottac

• First post!
    • View Profile
Do I have to use KDE?
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:08:13 am »
I am about to be setting up two machines with LinuxMCE. I have a question about the desktop environment.

I am very new to linux and want my setup to be as stable as possible as to minimize any trouble with my MCE setup. I have tried Kubuntu 8.10 and really didn't like it. However I really like the Gnome desktop environment and find it very easy to use. Is there anyway I can install off of the standard LinuxMCE disks and then switch to the Gnome environment post install.

this would be the ideal way for me to run the Core as I am just more familiar with Gnome. 

any info greatly appreciated.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have to use KDE?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:01:18 pm »
For now KDE is the only option.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:07:19 pm »
I felt very much the same as you when I first started out with LMCE, but now I am considering going over to KDE on my main PC. So my advice would be to "put up with" KDE, in order to learn as much about it as possible. You already have Gnome on your PC, so will quickly become an expert in both :-) And then you'll be able to see the advantages and disadvantages of one over the other (and then KDE in LMCE won't bother you so much).

Welcome to the forums.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

cdenning

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 05:38:15 am »
KDE is one of the worst user interfaces I have ever used.  Gnome is alot better - not great however.  There is a program that will create XpGnome - Make Linux Look like Windows XP that makes the switch over alot easier.  I have been trying to switch over for 5 years now and was going to when I found this script at:

http://www.ubuntu.online02.com/node/14

I do not understand the Lunix World not having the "My Computer" icon on the desktop.  If you want people to switch over simple drive access needs to be provided.  I hate MicroJunk as much as anyone else but the GUI rules.  Therefore, if we are stuck with KDE for LinuxMCE and do not want the nightmare of MythTV is there a script that will create a XP desktop for KDE?  If not I will just have to wait a few more years to switch....

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:22:38 am »
KDE is one of the worst user interfaces I have ever used.  Gnome is alot better - not great however.  There is a program that will create XpGnome - Make Linux Look like Windows XP that makes the switch over alot easier.  I have been trying to switch over for 5 years now and was going to when I found this script at:

I do not understand the Lunix World not having the "My Computer" icon on the desktop.  If you want people to switch over simple drive access needs to be provided.  I hate MicroJunk as much as anyone else but the GUI rules.  Therefore, if we are stuck with KDE for LinuxMCE and do not want the nightmare of MythTV is there a script that will create a XP desktop for KDE?  If not I will just have to wait a few more years to switch....

Where to start...

KDE - No matter how you feel about KDE, your primary interaction with a lmce machine will be orbiter, assuming you follow the direction and information in the FAQ. For machines that need windows, you can network boot them as media directors, essentially using them for a dual purpose.

Im pretty sure you meant Linux and not Lunix

MythTV is not a nightmare. Im not sure how you decided this, but less inflammatory comments go a long way towards getting you a response.

Before you install linuxMCE, or even start to read the FAQ, try and understand if its what you want. If a media center is what you seek, there are many open source options available. You really need to evaluate what it is your looking for and from what I can tell, you dont seem exactly sure. Asking about basic drive access (which is there if one were to look) and changing the underlying OS gui seems a bit off considering the intent of the system.

Please keep in mind this comes from a windows user whose 1st experience with linux was (and still is) linuxMCE. Its really not as hard as you think if you dont try to out-think it. There are a ton of more things is could add to this, but im tired. :) so please. ask yourself, what am I using this for? This way you aren't trying to use the space shuttle to get down the street. That and you wont ever be able to do any of this in windows, so ill trade this for a silly 'my computer' icon any day of the week and twice on tuesday. :p

cheers,
golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 04:37:39 pm »
It's interesting to me that so many people care at all about the desktop environment about LMCE.  I almost never even see it.

My core just sits there with the monitor off 95% of the time, I access webadmin from my Windows PC's in my home.  About the only time I actually go to the KDE desktop is when I have to do root access configuration or file copying and the like.

Just curious, do people typically 'use' LMCE boxes as a production PC?

gollywog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 05:31:05 pm »
LMCE is a media center yeah? So why are we trying to use it as a desktop?? If you want a desktop go buy a mac or pc and use either mac osx, window$ or linux. Simple really. Then your not stuck with KDE or Gnome or Mac OSX or Window$.

As far as im concerned, LMCE is here so we can build a awesome media solution. NOT A DESKTOP PC.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:03:34 pm »
I actually use a md as a daily pc as well other than flash problems with firefox... I find it quite usable.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:22:33 pm »

A strange, narrow point of view! Aside from agreeing entirely with points made by others like golgoj/dale/etc..... I could make an equally invalid comparison about any number of points that KDE/Gnome has... and that I cannot believe that Windows XP/Vista doesn't have...

.. you do realise that you only have that POV because you are used to the way you do things on a Windows machine? And if you had more experience with KDE (or MacOS, or Gnome, or anything for that matter) you would see the issue exactly in reverse and for the same reasons!

I have used Windows machines for many years, and it took me very little time to get used to the Gnome and KDE interfaces. I certainly never use the My Computer icon for drive access! Usually only for right-click -> Manage Computer. Its usefullness for drive access is limited as it pops up without the folder pane... so I always create myself an Explorer icon on my Quick Start bar and only use that...

There isn't much point belabouring the point with specific comparisons, because as I say it is only POV through what you are used to.. thus a trivial argument for me to make. But a specific point that maybe of use to you... note that on the "task bar" there is a simple icon that gives you immediate access to drives..... moreover, because it is on the task bar you don't have to minimise windows to get at the desktop, and it gives you direct access to a number of specific and useful folders rather than simply dumping you into the same My Computer folder every time... give me that flexibility any day!

BTW, KDE 4.1 will be included in LMCE 0810.. and believe me, that does what Vista was supposed to with the eye-candy and configurability, vastly superior and nicer to use :)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:06:04 am »
I hear ya.  From time to time, I like to try out other distrobutions of linux and everytime, I come back to gnome.  With KDE, I almost always have errors out of the box, even with kubuntu 8.10.  But I agree with the earlier posts in that you should really try to learn KDE.  It will make troubleshooting that much easier when using LMCE.  I know that one of the future hopes of the devs (whether it is achieved or not is another question) is to condense LMCE from a whole OS system to an installed program.  For example, you could install ubuntu 8.10, then open synaptic and install LMCE from there.   At least, I read this at point and liked the idea of it.  And then, LMCE could spread out and get .rpms developed and yums.  That way, LMCE could integrate into a fully customizable desktop.  But for now (7.10), LMCE is heavily integrated into KDE. so learn to love it. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 01:16:20 am »
No.

*untangles-all-that-stuff*

(1) LinuxMCE is NOT based on KDE. We do not INTEGRATE into KDE.  We merely call it when the Activate Desktop command is used.
(2) We want to be able to facilitate the installation of this stack onto other distributions, but it will never be JUST A PROGRAM to install. It is _very_ large, with many dependencies.

-Thom

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
collin:  Exactly right, in my circle of friends we call these people "Operating System Biggots".  I run into guys all the time that say stuff like, "Windows is terrible, Linux is best."  and then you get the "Linux is horrible, Windows is better." 

To both of these types of people I find that upon questioning, they either really don't know that much about the OS they're espousing their hate for or their reasoning is faulty (because you don't like Bill Gates doesn't make Windows bad and there ARE Linux apps compatible with MS Office /palmface).  Almost invariably it's just that they aren't familiar with it and as a result jump on the hate bandwagon.

And as collin points out, the arguement is the exact same with any OS, app, interface, platform, whatever, inserted dependant on what the person you're talking to is familiar with.  It's really too bad, all these people are missing out on a lot of cool technology because they're unwilling to give things outside their comfort zone a real chance.

On a side note:  Whenever I talk to those "OS biggots" I feel both amused and sad at the same time.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 08:16:23 pm »
Sorry Thom.  I'll try to keep my information straight, but I felt like I read that somewhere in a "future goals" section. 

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 08:19:30 pm »
collin:  Exactly right, in my circle of friends we call these people "Operating System Biggots".  I run into guys all the time that say stuff like, "Windows is terrible, Linux is best."  and then you get the "Linux is horrible, Windows is better." 

Dale - yep, in the 'old days' they use to call this a "Holy War" subject :) used to love reading those definitions in FOLDOC... must look up the equivalents in wikipedia!

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 08:46:47 am »
FOLDOC and gopher and SIMTEL20! ;-)