Author Topic: Networking issuse  (Read 3214 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Networking issuse
« on: March 30, 2006, 02:06:30 pm »
Is anyone else experiencing issues browsing the web from windows machines connected to the internet through recent versions of pluto?

I have an issue where all windows machines have issues accessing about 20% or so of websites, ie I can access slashdot.org, but not www.kodak.com.au. I can't see any pattern as to which sites work and which don't.

Also, MSN messenger won't connect, but Windows messenger will.

If I reboot the core and skip the networking / firewall stuff, then bring up the lan interface and internet connection manually, then add the appropriate iptables rule for NAT, all websites, and MSN messenger work fine, so I suspect it has something to do with the Pluto side of things.

I'll see if I can find the exact cause, but I'm keen to hear if anyone else is experiencing something similar, or has any suggestions.

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Networking issuse
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 09:35:12 pm »
Hi,

your post got me an idea. I'm also getting frustrated with certain pages not loading.

I've just tried www.iar.com from behind Pluto (no success) and from work PC (other provider) and it shows ok. I cannot exclude ISP or any other cause, but could be also this problem.

I also spot lately that my win computers have problem accessing each others shared directories - they all can access Pluto's shared dirs, but not between themselves....

Hmm, anyone with more clue what is going wrong ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Networking issuse
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:13:54 pm »
I've filed bug report - maybe Pluto guys will find out the same....

http://plutohome.com/support/mantis/view.php?id=2006

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Networking issuse
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 08:50:25 am »
Rob,

I also couldn't get to www.iar.com. After a bit of trial and error, I found that the simplest way to get things working again was to wait until the core has booted, then restart the network interfaces, ie from a console run:
ifdown -a
ifup -a

After doing that I can access all websites (including www.iar.com) without any problems. Other things I tried included removing scripts from startup, and flushing the iptables rules then adding them back in manually, but none of these seemed to work.

Also, note that I'm using the 2.6.15-pluto-1-686 kernel as the most recent one doesn't seem to work with my two DVB cards.

Regarding your windows file sharing problems, I'm not sure if that is related to this? Sharing files between windows machines should be completely independent from Pluto?

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Networking issuse
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 03:48:42 pm »
Quote from: "CaCtus491"
Rob,

Regarding your windows file sharing problems, I'm not sure if that is related to this? Sharing files between windows machines should be completely independent from Pluto?

Cheers,
-Kent

I'm not so sure - specially when Core is smb server. I think that one computer gets leading role in windows sharing....

Regards,

Rob.