Author Topic: Floor plans and zones  (Read 2909 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Floor plans and zones
« on: March 20, 2006, 04:39:19 am »
Hi,

I have a test setup with a Core, 2 MD's and a laptop running Orbiter software.

How do I use a Orbiter and/or a MD to control music in the following manner;
1) Select each MD to play different music?
2) Select each MD to play the same music (in sync)?

Using the Orbiter I have attempted select the MD/zone (meals) and selected some music for that MD to play....and it does. But then when I select the other MD/zone (living) the meals MD stops playing and the living MD does not play anything.

If I goto the floor plan page by clicking the MEdia icon I can see different tracks playing each higlighted in different colours (they appear to be a history of what songs where playing before changing MD/zone). I have tried toggling the F and Private switches but they seem to do nothing.

What is the Floor plan screen and how do I use it?

Have a set something up wrong?

Once I have music playing on the separate MD/zone it is simple to have video play in the same manner, correct?

Thanks
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Floor plans and zones
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:16:58 pm »
Quote from: "dicera"
Hi,

I have a test setup with a Core, 2 MD's and a laptop running Orbiter software.

How do I use a Orbiter and/or a MD to control music in the following manner;
1) Select each MD to play different music?
2) Select each MD to play the same music (in sync)?

Using the Orbiter I have attempted select the MD/zone (meals) and selected some music for that MD to play....and it does. But then when I select the other MD/zone (living) the meals MD stops playing and the living MD does not play anything.

If I goto the floor plan page by clicking the MEdia icon I can see different tracks playing each higlighted in different colours (they appear to be a history of what songs where playing before changing MD/zone). I have tried toggling the F and Private switches but they seem to do nothing.

What is the Floor plan screen and how do I use it?

Have a set something up wrong?

Once I have music playing on the separate MD/zone it is simple to have video play in the same manner, correct?

Thanks
Darren

Hi Darren,

Power up your core and boot up your 2 MD's and your laptop and launch the Windows Orbiter on your laptop.

From your MD in room 'meals' start some music/dvd playing. check you can hear it playing ;-). Also click on the 'Media' button to display the 'Media Floor plan' and make sure the 'Follow me' F button is indicating 'off'. While in the Media Floor Plan nitice that the track/dvd you are playing  is listed in a colour and that if you have added a floor plan graphic a similarly coloured MD icon is displayed in the relevant area of the plan. This allows you to see what media is playing in what part of your house.

Now click on the 'home' button to return to the main menu and then click on the button with the room name displayed in the bottom row of buttons on the Orbiter's main menu. You should now see a screen showing all your rooms. Select the room called 'living'. Now your Orbiter is controlling the MD in the room called 'living'"! Select another piece of music/dvd and start that playing. Select 'Home' to go back to the main menu screen. You now have two different pieces of media playing on different MD's in two different rooms.

Now from the main menu screen click on the 'current room' button which should currently be displaying 'living' and select the room called 'meals again'. Now click on the 'Media' button from the main menu to display the Media floor plan. Click the 'Follow me' or 'F' so that it is in its on state (ie just the 'F' is displayed). Now with 'Follow me' switched on when you change rooms the media your are playing in your current room will follow you to another room when you switch rooms. Try it and see.

Playing media in synch in different rooms is not working at the moment as the VLC plug-in is not feature complete.

Hope the above helps.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Floor plans and zones
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 02:09:15 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks....I can now play the two zones, I think the problem before was because I didn't have the MD's associated to the Floor plan. Does this sound right?

Do you know when the multi-linked zone stuff will be working?
Can it be patched to work?
Does it work at all?

There are some other questions (bugs???) with the floor plan.
1) If I select a MD on the floor plan and click the remote button I don't get the MD selected. I always get the same MD.
2) The same applys for the channel/volume controls (I can't select the MD I wish to control from the floorplan screen)

Thanks again
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Floor plans and zones
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 05:59:34 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks....I can now play the two zones, I think the problem before was because I didn't have the MD's associated to the Floor plan. Does this sound right?

Do you know when the multi-linked zone stuff will be working?
Can it be patched to work?
Does it work at all?

There are some other questions (bugs???) with the floor plan.
1) If I select a MD on the floor plan and click the remote button I don't get the MD selected. I always get the same MD.
2) The same applys for the channel/volume controls (I can't select the MD I wish to control from the floorplan screen)

Thanks again
Darren

Hi Darren,

Yes I would think not having your MD's associated to the floor plan might cause some problems.

Synched playback of media is something we have one of our team working on. The problem is in the VLC DCErouter plugin mainly and in the way it sets up VLC and manages its streams. Currently if you turn on VLC for each of your MD's (from the MD Wizard) and then select two MD's and some media you will get VLC launched and then everything grinds to a halt! So currently its not much use at all.

I am not near one of our test systems at the moment but I am pretty sure the 'remote', 'channel' and 'volume' controls that are on the Media Floorplan are not working correctly at the moment.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Floor plans and zones
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 06:10:23 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks again
Darren

Hi,

I've asked same questions, but if I remember right I was told that it was not supposed to work so (although I also assumed to work in the same way as you) and maybe it will be added in the future.....

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Floor plans and zones
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:24:20 am »
Hi,

I've asked same questions, but if I remember right I was told that it was not supposed to work so (although I also assumed to work in the same way as you) and maybe it will be added in the future.....

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

it's a bug, you have to have the simple/easy control all over the house, using only one device.
http://plutohome.com/support/mantis/view.php?id=2002
i put a mantis for this.