Author Topic: multi-soundcards for audio zones  (Read 11347 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
multi-soundcards for audio zones
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 09:19:49 pm »
I am wanting to run audio only throughout the house to in ceiling speakers in each room/zone from multiple soundcards installed in the core.  Each output would then go into an amp or multizone amp, with volume controlled by either a conventional dial in each room, or by remote adjusting the volume at the soundcard.  This to me is a much more elegant solution for whole house audio than having a stack of MD's or streambox's in the basement (where all the wiring runs to) sitting next to the core.  It's also the cheaper solution :)

Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 11:03:42 pm »
Quote from: "jspeckman"
I am wanting to run audio only throughout the house to in ceiling speakers in each room/zone from multiple soundcards installed in the core.  Each output would then go into an amp or multizone amp, with volume controlled by either a conventional dial in each room, or by remote adjusting the volume at the soundcard.  This to me is a much more elegant solution for whole house audio than having a stack of MD's or streambox's in the basement (where all the wiring runs to) sitting next to the core.  It's also the cheaper solution :)

Jason

I agree, we only need to implement this on pluto's Xine player.....

I've done some initial work, but didn't followed recent source code cause Xine was under some heavy changes....

I'd be glad to send code if anyone is willing to try - basically I added few parameters (to make audio only player, to decide on which alsa device to output, what mixer device for volume control, etc....) and few if clauses, where Xine tries to do something with video and we don't need this with Audio only xine.

But there is also another problem - Pluto as it is now, won't allow easy addition of new audio only devices on core - Aaron had to add all media scenarios by hand when I was working on that...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 03:25:56 pm »
Rob,

I'd like to take a look at the code, maybe even try to add support for a jack output driver.  Do you know what all hand tweeking was needed on the core?

Jason

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 12:22:20 pm »
Quote from: "jspeckman"
Rob,

I'd like to take a look at the code, maybe even try to add support for a jack output driver.  Do you know what all hand tweeking was needed on the core?

Jason

Hi,

I'll send you code - it was tried about 1 month ago... I'll try to open new bug report, where we can discuss and modify code. At the moment I don't have much time, but will post code and be happy on any help or discussion....

Regarding manuall addition of media scenarios to new audio zone: Well Aaron did that and he said it's not good for weak hearted.... But you can replace original Xine player binary and run yours instead... The problem will become when you'll try to run more instances... But for first steps it will be a good start...

What we would need sooner or later - possibility to add separate audio zones and specify Xine_player for them. For now Pluto only allows addition of audio zones with Sqeezeboxes in them. Now  we would need that option but put Xine_player or any other device in that audio zone....

Any plan to tackle this (we discussed this also on other thread - to deal with different physical and logical locations of Pluto devices - that means that Xine_player runs on Core, but outputs audio that is routed to certain Audio zone or room in house) ..

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 03:09:30 pm »
Hi,

I've opened Mantis thread about this development (Audio only Xine player as cheap Squeezebox alternative)- hopefully more contributors will jump in....

http://plutohome.com/support/mantis/view.php?id=1515

Code is over month old, so merging should be repeated with current svn version of Xine player - it has changed a lot over last period...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Alternate View on Multi-Channel Sound
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 05:16:39 am »
I want to start by saying that I am familiar with Pluto for about 10 minutes... but I love the concept.

I just spent several weeks designing a complete Home Automation system utilizing Homeseer, NetRemote, JRiver Media Server, etc for a new house that I am building.  During the process, I began to acknowledge the fact that given where current standard HA thoughtprocess is, there are MANY sacrifices that one must make to implement a system that does what we are asking of the multi-channel sound AND have video/security/climate/lighting all routed through the same interface.  Which leads me here...

One option that would be family inexpensive and effective would be to add several low-cost thin-clients to the wiring cabinet.  This would allow multiple "sound channels/zones" to the system.  They would, of course, need to be synced where they share a single source.

The biggest comment that I have here is "linking" each of these thin-clients to the "active" thin clients in each room.  They will need to be done this way to "share" a configuration with the active client in each room (if there is one?).  So dual functionality might be required here.  As long as you can identify each thin client as a ZONE (family room, kitchen, all-on), whether a partner to an in-room DMR or standalone (outside deck, for example).

Still, the idea of establishing the true software capability within the CORE enables use of M-AUDIO 10 channel sound cards (3-4 of these allows for 40 channels!).  At some point do you run out of processing power within the CORE to enable VIDEO to 5 other zones on top?  That is another topic but the idea of having seperate "thin clients" in the WIRE cabinet is the only solution that I have come up with based on a more traditional approach to whole-house audio.  This doesn't contribute to overcoming the software issues of integration to a multi-channel synced solution, but is a workable solution that I have resorted to in my current project...  unless we come up with a solution quickly :)

Maybe my next project...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 08:47:03 pm »
Here's my design thought process.  I want to be able to have speakers in each room, including out on the deck.  I want to be able to send music to whichever room I am in, and only have 1 central MD.  I don't really care if I have 6 different audio streams, I just want to be able to listen to 1 stream in any location.  So, my thought was to do one of 2 things:

a.  Set up a patch panel using X10 devices with the speaker wires run through it.  I could then switch each "zone" on or off this way.

b.  Install switches in each room, and if it is toggled it completes the speaker circuit and allows sound in that room.  If I go into each room and press the switch, every room would be playing the same music at the same time.

M2CW