Author Topic: 7.10 Kubuntu installation fails to find harddrives in setup wizard  (Read 3562 times)

skatingn330

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
I booted from cd to install 7.10 kubuntu and went through the wizard to find harddisks and nothing shows up. I have 2 250 gig drives one running vista eternity, but none of them show during the wizard. Any ideas anyone?
Asus m3n78-pro
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core 2.60 GHz
250 gig sata drive x2
Sata Dvd-rw
4 gigs ram
usb-uirt
LinuxMCE 7.10 32 bit
Vista eternity 32 bit

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 7.10 Kubuntu installation fails to find harddrives in setup wizard
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:27 am »
My problem is not identical, however I am having a problem (was having and maybe with this help it's fixed) I found a number of posts on these NEW ASUS boards and there are lot's of issues that require some minor to major config.  So far with these instruction, my system is not installing software (I hope), yours sounds familiar and maybe this will help you:

FIRST:  Ensure your CD drive is on the first SATA port (that really appears to be a problem)

SECOND - If you get the spash screen and the option to click on "install Linuxmce"  hit F6

In the boot line do this:

at beginning type:  acpi=off
at the end, change Splash to Nosplash

Give that a try and post your results

skatingn330

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:38:33 pm »
Sorry Marper i think you misunderstool my problem, I am stuck at installing Kubuntu, the cd setup doesn t have to the drivers to find my harddrive and ethernet adapter
Asus m3n78-pro
250 gig sata drive x2
Sata Dvd-rw
4 gigs ram
usb-uirt
LinuxMCE 7.10 32 bit
Vista eternity 32 bit

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:04:03 am »
Many motherboards have the ability to make the SATA ports for the hard disks emulate the older IDE ports, so that older operating systems can run unmodified.  Check out your motherboard's manual for more info about how to do this.

slick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:09:50 pm »
Hi,

Another option (which worked for me) was to change settings in BIOS as per indulis suggestion.

But instead of configuring sata drive to look like an IDE device, I changed mine to AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface)
to get there in my BIOS  - Main - Sata configuration {enhanced}

Kubuntu 7.10 install cd found it no problems.... I have no idea if that will effect your VISTA install though? perhaps someone with more knowledge can advise further?

fyi my setup P5Q-EM mobo with 2x 750 gig samsung HDD sata's and 1x bluray on sata (sda on sata 1, sdb on sata 2, and bluray on sata 3, nothing else connected to mobo)

Hope this helps  :)

skatingn330

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 06:03:29 pm »
Changing the IDE to AHCI worked, but whenever i use vista i have to switch it back.
Asus m3n78-pro
250 gig sata drive x2
Sata Dvd-rw
4 gigs ram
usb-uirt
LinuxMCE 7.10 32 bit
Vista eternity 32 bit