Author Topic: Pluto orbiter program for windows Ce  (Read 4724 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Pluto orbiter program for windows Ce
« on: December 13, 2008, 08:06:57 pm »
Anyone using this? I have a DT366 and until I get Thom's image installed I wanted to use the program that you download off of the pluto admin page, unfortunately when I install and try to run it I get and error message.
If I use the xscale version it says that it is not a valid CE application
If I use the x86 version it says "cannot find orbiter_cnet4_x86 or one of its components. Make sure the path and filename are correect and that the required libraries are available"

Any ideas?

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pluto orbiter program for windows Ce
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:14:46 pm »
You have to use the image Thom made.  The os is different.  Thom's image overwrites the flash drive, so just be aware of this.  I have two these things and they are awesome.

The latest image has to be copied to a USB flash drive and then boot from the flash drive.  Worked like a charm once I figured that out.

Thanks,
Rob

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:36:07 pm »
*hmm*

I already told you this, krys. The WinCE build won't work. This is why I did the PadOrbiter distribution.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 09:43:09 pm »
sorry man I have a terrible memory, I thought you made the pad orbiter just so you could boot right into it and not have to load CE then open the program. what brand of usb stick do you use when loading your program, I cant even boot DOS from mine so I think maybe its just a low quality usb drive that is messing me up.
Thanks

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 09:55:54 pm »
I have used kingston and pny 2gb with no issues

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 11:15:28 pm »
I highly recommend plugging in a usb keyboard and pressing f1 when the 366 first turns on.  This will load the bios configuration screen.

Go to Option C- "Motherboard Device Configuration" and the Option A- "IDE Configuration" and under "Boot Order Configuration" set all 3 to "NONE".  And, on the same screen, set the "Flash Interface" under "Flash Configuration" to "Disabled".

Then enable the "Summary Screen Configuration" under the Option H- "Miscellaneous Configuration" from the home screen.

Finally, Option X- "Save Values and Exit".

Now, restart the device- it will stall on the summary screen.  On the 4th line of the summary screen it should start with "Floppy A" followed by "Drive 80:"

Now, I think this where this http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6775.0 especially Thom's post here:  "512 binary megabytes, (524,288,000 bytes)" makes the difference.  The one that I can get Thom's image to flash onto says "Drive 80: 524", my other one in the same place says "Drive 80: 512".  On this second 366, the image gets to 97% then says that it ran out of room.

So, if you're having similar trouble- I think the 512 vs 524 makes all the difference.  I wanted a quick solution to the problem, so I bought a 1gb drive from PC Universe for about $23 shipped.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:05:29 pm »
Jimme, did you replace the internal drive with the 1gb, or did you use the CF card port on the top of the unit?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 05:08:04 pm »
my guess, the internal unit.

-Thom

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 06:09:09 pm »
I tried a CF card initially (because I had a 4gb one sitting around), but I didn't want to figure out how to get Thom's image installed on a CF and it wasn't initially intuitive.  To try, I only pulled out the internal ide card and installed the CF on the top of the unit, then ran the image installer from a USB.  Install (if I remember correctly) got to 2% or so and kicked out an "out of space" error.

I would guess that they're is someway to mount the image on a separate machine and install the files on the CF- I'm pretty sure the 366 doesn't care where it boots from- internal vs CF.

If someone knows how to do this, I'd be willing to try- probably have time even tonight.  My CF is nothing fantastic- 4gb at 120x, but should get the job done.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:34:16 pm »
  I wanted a quick solution to the problem, so I bought a 1gb drive from PC Universe for about $23 shipped.

you dont happen to have a link for this, I am having a hard time locating that same item

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 12:20:49 am »
Krys,

I just shot you a PM.  I don't think I'll buy from PC Universe again- they show no record of my order on their website, their customer service response time is poor at best and the shipping times are currently at 7 working days (and counting).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my 366's take a horizontal 44pin ide flash drive.  I'm guessing that almost any that meet that description will work.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 12:43:09 am »
I buy my flash directly from Transcend.

-Thom