Author Topic: USB-UIRT disabled  (Read 4216 times)

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
USB-UIRT disabled
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:09:22 am »
Hello,
Long story short, I could learn with the USB-UIRT, but could not control.  I am running the i386 dvd install of 0710.  Found this:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix

Followed this very carefully to the letter.  Reboot, now I cannot learn with the remote.  When rebooting I see "Not starting USB-UIRT, it is disabled" in the window prior to the full GUI appearing.  I see this:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5148.0

But no amount of reboot or loading the router helps.

I also notice a difference from before in the AV devices window.  Before, in the "comm port on PC" entry, I could select USB-UIRT.  Now, I can only select /sys/bus/usb-serial/devices/*.   Does anyone have any clue or suggestions on how to fix this?  I am contemplating doing a complete do-over with the 64bit dvd (I have an AMD X2 processor).  But somehow I feel this might open up a different can of worms.  Can anyone help?

Thanks

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: USB-UIRT disabled
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:09:30 am »
OK, SO

In response to my own post, I manged to fix this by skipping to the spoiler section, and copying the file directly from the tar file.  I can now learn and control with the USB-UIRT.

This required me to first extract the .ko file to a directory where I had permissions, then
sudo -i
and cp the file over to the /lib etc etc on the command line. 

I really am not sure why this is called "spoiler", as I would have greatly appreciated skipping the compile part (the real spoiler), in favor of using something that is know to work. 

How does one go about editing that wiki to move the so called "spoiler" section to the top, so others may no have to take so long on this compile procedure?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:49:26 am »
OK, SO

In response to my own post, I manged to fix this by skipping to the spoiler section, and copying the file directly from the tar file.  I can now learn and control with the USB-UIRT.

This required me to first extract the .ko file to a directory where I had permissions, then
sudo -i

I really am not sure why this is called "spoiler", as I would have greatly appreciated skipping the compile part (the real spoiler), in favor of using something that is know to work. 

How does one go about editing that wiki to move the so called "spoiler" section to the top, so others may no have to take so long on this compile procedure?
Maybe next time you should read the whole thing before getting started.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 01:49:39 pm »
 ???
Well I called it a spoiler, because it removes any need to put a build environment in place, in case you wanted to build more modules for other items in your system. But if you do not need to build anything else, then you cut right to the chase.

It's kind of like a movie. If you want to follow the plot, and experience all the characters in it, you watch the whole thing. Could turn out great, could be 2hrs of your life you'll never get back. But if you don't want to sit through the whole thing, you can easily view a "spoiler" somewhere, and cut right to the end.

Kind of like LMCE. If you want to learn how things work in the system, and gain experience and knowledge in the process. Start from the beginning, and build your own module.

If you want to be lazy, not learn anything, and just "get it working" , use the "Spoiler" . And if you would have read the entire wiki entry, this would have become clear.

I apologize for your confusion, but at least now, if you need to build another module to make something else work in your system, the work has been done, and it should be a piece of cake.  ;D

But so as not to seem a hardass, I will edit the wiki to say "The Spoiler: Instant Fix!"

Bet wishes and Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:52:24 pm by seth »
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 11:51:34 pm »
OK, SO

sudo -i

Maybe next time you should read the whole thing before getting started.

Lesson learned

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:04:56 am »
???
Well I called it a spoiler, because it removes any need to put a build environment in place, in case you wanted to build more modules for other items in your system. But if you do not need to build anything else, then you cut right to the chase.

It's kind of like a movie. If you want to follow the plot, and experience all the characters in it, you watch the whole thing. Could turn out great, could be 2hrs of your life you'll never get back. But if you don't want to sit through the whole thing, you can easily view a "spoiler" somewhere, and cut right to the end.

Kind of like LMCE. If you want to learn how things work in the system, and gain experience and knowledge in the process. Start from the beginning, and build your own module.

If you want to be lazy, not learn anything, and just "get it working" , use the "Spoiler" . And if you would have read the entire wiki entry, this would have become clear.

I apologize for your confusion, but at least now, if you need to build another module to make something else work in your system, the work has been done, and it should be a piece of cake.  ;D

But so as not to seem a hardass, I will edit the wiki to say "The Spoiler: Instant Fix!"

Bet wishes and Regards,

Seth

I guess I wouldn't have minded so much if it would have worked.  Sorry for the somewhat short post, I was a little frustrated at the seemingly endless failures, at getting the usb-uirt to work.

Now funny thing, that is fixed, but whenever I go and click or use the keyboard on the screen orbit, my tv shuts off! LOL.  This only happens the first time after a dcrouter refresh, the rest of the actions do not send the code.  hmmmmm.  The remote I was using the most to train when troubleshooting the code sending issue was the tv power button.  Maybe all my failed attempts before at getting it to work buffered up and it's relieving itself now. 

But seriously, what would cause that?  I have looked in the home page under orbiters, interfaces etc, I see nothing that could cause this.  Now it's working too well!

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:23:29 am »
Also, just to add to my previous post, as I was sitting there typing it, my TV shut off without me being near the system, or my remote.  I can only assume the usb-uirt sent that, as I wasn't watching the little light.  Very strange indeed.  It has taken a life of it's own.

And BTW, I do appreciate you editing that wiki.  And I do appreciate the movie analogy.  I thought I followed that procedure to the letter, I must have typed a wrong character in the edit.  I had used vi before quite a bit, years ago, and have actually compiled a kernel a few times, but the last being around 1995 trying to get slackware to dail my modem.  I think the kernel was at 1.2 or 1.3, before they had the modules, so you had to compile the kernel to get any hardware features in.  Chat script comes to mind.  Yikes (shudder).  I got that to work though!

Any theories as to the spontaneous (or predictable, right after a dcerouter refresh and using the on screen orbiter the first time) sending of the tv off code?

Thanks
Dave

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:33:33 am by drjenk »

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 01:04:02 am »
Also, just to add to my previous post, as I was sitting there typing it, my TV shut off without me being near the system, or my remote.

If you aren't "doing anything" the system will auto shut off.

Your other mention of the TV shutting off when you a press a button after a router reload? That used to drive me nuts too, until Tschak told me _why_ that happens.

Basically with IR, when you reload the router, it doesn't remember if things were On or Off. When you press a button, LMCE says "Gee, buddy wants to do something, I need to turn things on!" and so it sends the power ON command.

If you're TV is like mine, it doesn't have discreet (separate) On or Off commands, it's a power toggle.... so guess what happens? You reload the router, press a button, and it shuts off your tv!

It actually thinks it's turning it on for you. So as was pointed out to me, just shut off your TV before you press a button, or just know that when you do hit a button you'll need to power ON again.

It's not so bad later when you're done tinkering.

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 01:59:21 am »
I see.  Ya mine toggles, no discrete power.
Thanks

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 01:35:13 pm »
 :)
Hey, thats cool.

You can disable the auto-off feature easy enough. You go into AV Equipment on the web admin. Change to the room your TV is in from the drop down. Then when the entry for your TV appears, click the "Advanced" button. Near the bottom of the first entry on the new page, there is an option "Ignore ON/OFF" click the radio button for "On", and then reload the router. That should fix you right up.

If you wish to use the cool auto off/on feature, power your TV off. And then from the web admin or orbiter, reload the router. This will get the system back in sync.

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 01:36:54 pm by seth »
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth