Author Topic: DVD Playback with Custom Resolution  (Read 1824 times)

Caravaggio

• View Profile
DVD Playback with Custom Resolution
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:09:21 am »
I had been running LinuxMCE at 480p resolution, with my HTPC hooked up via a VGA to RGBHV cable to an older, 16:9 rear projection HDTV that can handle 480i/p and 1080i.  LinuxMCE was fine, but overscan issues meant that I was missing quite a bit of information on the KDE desktop.  I started modifying xorg.conf to shrink and center the screen and got something that worked reasonable well.  LinuxMCE seemed happy with it.
Then I decided to try to get 1080i resolution.  I tried the method outlined in the wiki, but that didn't seem to work very well for me, so I went back to modifying xorg.conf.  Again, I found a modeline that worked and I have a nice 1080i picture, everything is centered and looks good in both LinuxMCE and the KDE desktop.
However, I went to playback a dvd and found that the aspect ratios are wrong.  Moreover, they are inconsistently wrong.  Some 2.35:1 dvds play fine with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.  Others completely fill the screen.  Some other dvds with different aspect ratios have bars on all sides of the image.  Zooming and changing the aspect ratio of the disc don't solve the problem. 
This was not an issue with the modified 480p xorg file.  I can't really figure out a root cause.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of information in this forum on this problem.  Since I modified the xorg.conf file by hand and did not run the AVWizard to get the resolution, do I need to run anything else to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Playback with Custom Resolution
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 06:27:05 am »
Can you change the aspect ratio through the normal menu choices?  When playing a dvd, bring up the menu, on the left most column, select zoom and aspect ratio.  Try messing around in there?