Author Topic: do i need MD on my core for myth backend  (Read 2788 times)

canzi

• View Profile
do i need MD on my core for myth backend
« on: November 06, 2008, 10:25:03 am »
This might seem like a stupid question for all you avid LinuxMCE users but im stuck

I have a dedicated LinuxMCE Server with a Dvico dual digital tuner and extra ext3 volumes with media
and 1 diskless MD with nvidia card

Im trying to get my Dvico dual digital pci/usb working and the server can see both tuners loads firmware but i can not add it with MythTV setup on my MD i have the feeling that the MythTV Setup program needs to run on the core so it can see the tuner but then i wouldn't be able to run a dedicated core.

any advice appreciated
cheers in advance

Steve
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:57:59 am by canzi »

canzi

• View Profile
Re: do i need MD on my core for myth backend
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:48:52 pm »
bump  ;D

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:41:09 pm »
I think you have to run the mythtv setup on your core... No need to have the MD running all the time, but for setup I think you have to...
I just set my core to not autoload the MD automatically, then I can start it whenever I need it.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:28:16 pm »
kind of on the same topic... is there a way for the core to turn on an MD automatically if that MD is responsible for recording something? I am trying to decide how to lay everything out and my core is in the office closet and my cable box and main tv is in another room with an MD. It would make sense to have the tv capture card in the TV room so that I can watch HD off the cable box, but if my capture card is running off of an MD that means that that MD would have to run all the time. I dont mind the MD running all the time but I am just afraid that it might lock up after being on a while and I will miss a show.
sorry for the long post

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:44:04 pm »
The Media Directors are designed to always be on, so this isn't really a problem that we concentrate on.

-Thom