Author Topic: Look what I just scored for FREE  (Read 2867 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Look what I just scored for FREE
« on: November 12, 2008, 07:12:09 pm »
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnormes.uark.edu%2Ftech%2F4600_specs.pdf&ei=TRMbSfLvEYye8QS348ytDg&usg=AFQjCNHesnWRw4feuhFuv4KHY0TIFIoxgw&sig2=nalh7RO0UyHBx6ZVsh8tCQ

it sports 2 3.0ghz processors and up to 24 GB of RAM and a gigabit card!... I am installing Kub 7.10 as we speak and then LMCE to make sure its compatible before I lug it home.... either way I can surely find a use for it even if its not as a core

rlb2

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Look what I just scored for FREE
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:33:39 am »
Let us know how it goes!  I have been eying http://www.surpluscomputers.com/ as they have 2U with similar specs.  But afraid to take the plunge to see if it works.  THANKS! Rob

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:55:05 pm »
Well so far I got Kubuntu 7.10 installed successfully and decided to take it home and network it up before running the LMCE install. Only problem is the stock VGA out on the server doesnt like my LCD monitors at home, so I am just going to bring home one of the spare CRT's that we have in the office to get it up and running, after that I imagine that I will just remote in any time I need to check on anything. I really see this thing working out great as long as there are no conflicts with LMCE, two true processors and basically as much RAM as I can afford with an internal Giga NIC.... how can I go wrong. The only downside I see is power consumption and noise, but I will just have to run it for a while and see if its a big deal or not.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 06:54:55 pm »
Up and running, it took me a while to get an MD to netboot properly but it turns out that the two NIC's MCE was using were both internal and it wasnt recognizing the one I had in the expansion slot... so I just used the two internal ones and BAM net booted immediately. So it works and its fast, right now I am only running 2 GB of RAM so plenty of room to improve if needed. I am desperately trying to find a cheap plug and play sound card to throw in this thing since it doesn't have one on the MB. All I need is 2ch, but I will take anything as long as its plug and play and fits in a PCI slot. Everything that I can find at a local store isn't even listed on ALSA and I don't want to buy something that might not work. I started a separate thread asking for recommendations but have not received any yet.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:40:33 pm »
I just wanted to report back to let you guys know that this server is working out great. Since I got it up and running I have had no major issues and haven't even needed to restart it. I have about 5 MD's running off of it right now and only 1 that I cant seem to get network booted. The server has a 10/100/1000 connection that I am using for my internal network, however I only have a 10/100 hub for right now. I have seen no impact on this as far as playing media, but I do plan on investing in an 8 port 10/100/1000 switch in the future. I would say the only possible downside that I see about running this server would be energy costs which is an uncertainty for now, I really have no clue what it will cost to run this thing 24/7. Any input on the subject of energy costs would be appreciated. If anyone was unsure about using something like this for your own system I would say jump right in.