Author Topic: Just completed my first install, and WOW am I impressed...  (Read 13254 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Just completed my first install, and WOW am I impressed...
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 04:10:18 am »
Yes, it would help with debugging, unfortunately, it would also make people content to just keep things as they are....without figuring out WHY the automatic scripts didn't work...this is the big reason I will not do a patch like this myself.

Let's instead analyse the automatic scripts and try to make them more intelligent. I will not speak any more on this.

-Thom

wsuetholz

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2008, 03:58:27 pm »
use the lmce directory structure, and make a symlink from a folder called tv_shows_1 on that disk, to /home/public/data/videos/tv_shows_1

please be sure to do this outside of the directory structure on the managed disk. DO NOT MESS WITH MOUNTS IN LINUXMCE. You will crash the system. The system has an extensive automounter system that will detect and mount all filesystems it finds.

i.e. say the disk is device 69

make a folder on /mnt/device/69 called tv_shows_1
then ln -s that to /home/public/data/videos

-Thom

y'know I had tried this, and I found that the link was being deleted and remade as a directory entry.  So, I just assumed that one of the automation scripts really wanted the tv_shows_1 to be a directory, and started doing things differently.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:02 pm »
I can confirm this. i rebooted the core last night to add a new piece of hardware. When the system came back up, the symlink I created was gone, and it was replaced with a standard directory.

As creating a mount point in fstab is a BAD thing, I would make note that if you reboot your core, you will either have to add a script to delete and re-link the directory, or remember to change it back.

Please note that using a mount point is not a good road to travel.

Regards,

Seth

- edit -  By the way, that was the longest period of time my core was up, 17 days, guess I finally got the right hardware setup. A note here, I do not run the media station, it only starts the core services on boot.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:22:37 pm by seth »
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth