Author Topic: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366  (Read 73596 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: ANN: Orbiter image for WebDT 366
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2009, 07:45:03 am »
You need to actually _READ_ the thread.

You have to use a program that writes the data to the disk, sector by sector. This is a raw disk image.

Use 'dd' or another program like it to write the image directly to the disk image, bypassing the filesystem.

-Thom

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2009, 04:00:04 pm »
I just ran into another problem. When I power up, it loads for a while and then says "Bad Command..." and I dont even have anything connected (flash drive)... I guess it must have deleted a part of the Windows CE OS that was running on there... ALSO, do I just have to download the webpad gamma file, extract it, stick it on my 4gb flash drive and connect it to the dt366 or Do I have to also type some commands for the file to boot? Another thing that I'm unclear about is how to put the extracted gamma file on the flash drive. Do I just drag and drop or is there a program that I should be using to "write" the file to the flash drive...???
Thanks.

Like Thom said, READ the article.
In short steps, transfer webpad-gamma1.dd to Your KDE, put it somewhere You will remember it. Open terminal window, login as root. Navigate to folder where You transfered webpad-gamma1.dd. Then enter
dd if=webpad-gamma1.dd of=/dev/sdX (where X is YOur USB stick. In my case it was b, You can find out by righ clicking on USB icon and search there). After dd has done its work You have a bootable PadORbiter stick, which u just plug in WebDT and it will automaticly boot from it. If You need keyboard and mouse, You can hook up USB hub and plug in all You need.
Again, READ the article, first page has all what You need to know. If You still dont know what or how to do, i think its easier You oreder WebDT with peloaded PadOrbiter from tkmedia. I am complete Linux newbie, but from Thoms instructions it was all clear to me.

P. S. Are You sure u have 1 partition on Your WebDT?If not, read page 5 of this thread and You will get a picture how to repartition Your flash drive.

system error101

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2009, 09:58:11 pm »
You need to actually _READ_ the thread.

You have to use a program that writes the data to the disk, sector by sector. This is a raw disk image.

Use 'dd' or another program like it to write the image directly to the disk image, bypassing the filesystem.

-Thom

I read all 6 pages twice... I just wasn't sure if dd was the name of the program or not. I also wanted to make sure that I had the correct commands... Thanks for your help, I will give it a try once my new flash drive comes in. I will report back once I try it again.

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2009, 01:41:30 am »
I read all 6 pages twice... I just wasn't sure if dd was the name of the program or not. I also wanted to make sure that I had the correct commands... Thanks for your help, I will give it a try once my new flash drive comes in. I will report back once I try it again.

No problem systemerror101. You will have to get used to the fact that YOu will have to try a lot on Your own even if You are not sure what You are doing. I have reinstalled my LMCE 15+ times and every time i learned something new. Asking questions that have already been anwsered makes people mad, they have every right to think that YOu are too lazy to read on Your own. People are here to help, but Your questions must be precise.

system error101

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2009, 02:17:45 am »

No problem systemerror101. You will have to get used to the fact that YOu will have to try a lot on Your own even if You are not sure what You are doing. I have reinstalled my LinuxMCE 15+ times and every time i learned something new. Asking questions that have already been anwsered makes people mad, they have every right to think that YOu are too lazy to read on Your own. People are here to help, but Your questions must be precise.

I went out and got a 4Gb Flash drive... I tried using dd, but I am not getting it... Here is where I am stuck (sorry for bugging you guys). After downloading 5 different versions of dd, I finally managed to get a copy that boots up. All the others just crashed on me. My flash drive letter is "I" and I have the gamma file on my HD (D:\gamma\webpad-gamma1.dd)

I cant figure out how to write the gamma file to the flash drive through dd. You mentioned that I need to open a terminal and log in as root, find the file and then type: dd if=webpad-gamma1.dd of=/dev/sdX where X is my flash drive "I". I don't know what you mean by log in as root. Lets say I am on my computer and i open the terminal windows for dd, Do I located the gamma file through the dd terminal window and then type in the dd if=webpad-gamma1.dd of=/dev/sdX command???

Thanks for your help, sorry for being such a pain. I read all the pages and I cant seem to get it.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2009, 02:57:39 am »
You should be doing this on your linux box, not a windows machine!

dd is already installed. plug in your flash into your core (say), find out what device it gets called eg /dev/sdb, then

dd if=webpad-gamma1.dd of=/dev/sdb

tarpy

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2009, 10:10:36 pm »
Question for Thom or others.
I just purchased a WebDT 366. I did not realize that it needed to 512mb of flash for Thom's image. I now have it and am trying to confirm how much flash it has. The Ebay seller said 256mb, but I just want to confirm as it does not specify that on the outside of the unit, that I am aware of.

I opened the unit up and the part number on what I think is the ide flash drive is "dh0512m44rk1".
Just like the picture on this website. http://webdt.org/index.php?topic=40.0

The model number to me would make me think (hope) it is a 512 flash, but like I said I am not positive.
I would rather not try to flash it and loose contents only to find out I was wrong.

Separate question, if my webdt 366 is 256flash then would it be possible to install a bootable image on a usb flash drive and just boot to that permanently? similar to what people are doing with nimbleX on WebDT 366 http://webdt.org/index.php?topic=20.0 (I realize this is only running linux off of usb flash with not linuxmce front end, but it shows running linux off usb flash drive).

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2009, 02:40:28 am »
Question for Thom or others.
I just purchased a WebDT 366. I did not realize that it needed to 512mb of flash for Thom's image. I now have it and am trying to confirm how much flash it has. The Ebay seller said 256mb, but I just want to confirm as it does not specify that on the outside of the unit, that I am aware of.
I opened the unit up and the part number on what I think is the ide flash drive is "dh0512m44rk1".
Just like the picture on this website. http://webdt.org/index.php?topic=40.0
The model number to me would make me think (hope) it is a 512 flash, but like I said I am not positive.
I would rather not try to flash it and loose contents only to find out I was wrong.
I also thought mine had 256MB flash drive. after messing in CE i saw 2 partitions. To be sure, run UBCD on USB and there You have a lots of partition tools so You can make sure You have 256 or 512MB flash disk.

Separate question, if my webdt 366 is 256flash then would it be possible to install a bootable image on a usb flash drive and just boot to that permanently? similar to what people are doing with nimbleX on WebDT 366 http://webdt.org/index.php?topic=20.0 (I realize this is only running linux off of usb flash with not linuxmce front end, but it shows running linux off usb flash drive).
I dont think that PadOrbiter can be ran from flash drive. Thom can confirm me on that one.
It aint easy to upgrade installed flash disk, DT used custom made disks, check out darkcircas post here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7689.0

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2009, 03:10:04 am »
Thom-  how do you save a copy of the existing OS from the flash drive before overwriting it with LMCE?

darkcirca

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2009, 03:15:43 am »
Thom-  how do you save a copy of the existing OS from the flash drive before overwriting it with LinuxMCE?

Norton Ghost, or another method of imaging (Clonezilla, etc). You need a USB hub though so you can boot off the USB stick, and have a keyboard. I use Norton Ghost to clone on/off, boot with Win98DOS, open Ghost, then copy off to USB stick.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2009, 04:14:11 am »
Cool-

That helps me out too.

darkcirca

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2009, 03:09:28 pm »
Cool-

That helps me out too.

It's pretty easy to do. I made my USB Device bootable (I believe with HP Tools) with the Win98DOS. I then put the Ghost.exe file on there needed to boot Ghost.

On startup, I set it to boot into the USB stick. It boots DOS, I type "ghost" and it loads Ghost. Just copy it right back over to my flash drive (or off if need be). I use this method for pretty much all my tablets, and wearable computers.

system error101

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2009, 09:53:16 pm »
You should be doing this on your linux box, not a windows machine!

dd is already installed. plug in your flash into your core (say), find out what device it gets called eg /dev/sdb, then

dd if=webpad-gamma1.dd of=/dev/sdb

I installed Linux MCE on one of my machines and booted KDE as you instructed and then I opened the terminal window... I found out that my flash drive is /dev/sdb1
Do I need to included the "1" at the end of sdb? I tried it both ways and I still cant get it to write... I have the webpad-gamma1.dd file on my KDE desktop. Once I open the terminal window, Where do I go from there? I understand that once I locate the file I then type the "dd if=webpad-gamma1.dd of=/dev/sdb" command. But how do I located the file through the terminal window? I dragged the file to the terminal window and it listed the location, I then typed the dd command and it said "could not locate file.." or something like that. What am I missing?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2009, 02:10:49 am »
The 1 indicates the partition number, I think there will only be 1 partition on a thumb drive, so it probably doesn't matter which you use but probably do it without the number.

Well you really do need to know where you put the image, I can't tell you that. If you put it in the linuxmce home directory (/home/linuxmce) then you can just type the name with no path as the terminal window will default to that directory.

system error101

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:58 am »
The 1 indicates the partition number, I think there will only be 1 partition on a thumb drive, so it probably doesn't matter which you use but probably do it without the number.

Well you really do need to know where you put the image, I can't tell you that. If you put it in the linuxmce home directory (/home/linuxmce) then you can just type the name with no path as the terminal window will default to that directory.

The padorbiter file is on my KDE desktop. I know where it is, I just don't know what commands to type when I open the terminal window other than the dd command... I was told I need to first locate the orbiter file through the terminal window, and then type the dd command. I just need to know how to locate it through the terminal window. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.