Author Topic: RAID Alerting  (Read 3894 times)

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
RAID Alerting
« on: July 09, 2008, 04:50:49 pm »
I would have expected this to be addressed earlier but having looked through the posts it seems that all there is no RAID Alerting within LinuxMCE.  I believe it is very important to have reporting for RAID failures added to LinuxMCE so that failures can be addressed before they become a serious issue.  A simple E-mail notification would address this.  Is there any way would could get this incorporated in the not too distant future?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: RAID Alerting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:05:53 pm »
please attach this as a feature request in mantis.linuxmce.org. My thinking is, we'll add it as an alert dialogue so that it will be displayed on all the orbiters.

I see no merit in the e-mail notification, when we have the orbiter infrastructure to alert.. (as well as cell phone calls with automated alerts)

-Thom

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:52:03 pm »
Sounds like a plan.  I'll submit the request a little later today.  Thank you for the direction and input.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 05:24:10 pm »
I think an e-mail alert would be useful for a number of applications and reasons. If the system isn't local (vacation home) or the maintenance is with a third party (like a number of the people on this board would want to be) then e-mail alerts for things like raid problems, system problems etc. could be helpful. Not to mention the really important use case- the wife getting pissed or upset by scary warnings on the TV. If those only went to the "informed user" and not to the screen these exotic systems may be more tolerable. It could also be helpful to have a remote problem tracking system to identify problems across the user base.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:06:59 pm »
Doesn't an email alert with mdadm conf already work?

rgds
Oliver (Who does not want to break his RAID to test if the alert really works)