Author Topic: Template library  (Read 7823 times)

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
Template library
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:43:13 pm »
Hi All,

Is it possible to export my device templates?
The reason i ask is - lets say i get a universal LG interface going for all models, rather than users having to create one they could simply download it from a central location (ie wiki) and just change a few settings once it has been loaded ?

If i then wanted to setup say certain X10 controls - i could download them from the central location and 'plug them in' so to speak.

I know that it is fairly straight forward to setup devices via the interfaces we have - it was more an idea of having it for newbies.

It would also be interesting in having a region specific set of templates - ie australia - us, uk. The purpose behind that is that the users here in australia can use VDR and why not have it loaded as a standard package either during install or by downloading a region specific package. I realise this is problably not straight forward - but i thought i would add it as something that might be of interest to others down the track.

Justin

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Template library
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:02:25 am »
*hmm*

this is what sqlCVS is for. amazing how everybody wants to reinvent the wheel.

-Thom

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:45:47 am »
There are actually two different LG templates already sent via sqlCVS waiting to be approved.  Once one of the templates have been approved. I have a plug and play script that we can add so that these will become Plug&Play serial controlled devices, but as per the wiki it is dependent on the device template number. 

Thanks,
Rob

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:57 am »
Hi thom,

Sorry i didn't realise this feature already existed within Linuxmce. Is there a net based version of this where the templates are stored that i can access?

Justin

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:16:11 am »
@thom,

sqlCVS is ok for getting/sending new templates. But I would also like to see an online template browser. When I want to buy new hardware, a list of templates, already existing in LMCE, could help me choosing the right one. Of course, I could use webadmin to check what exists and what doesn't exist. But wouldn't it be nicer to have a central place, where the templates are listed, where they get rated by the users or where user leave their comments, etc...

I can't help writing Core modules for LMCE, but in that case I'm willing to programm that functionality, if there is a need for. ;)

eNoodle

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:05:57 am »
Hi Rob,

When you say that is dependant on the template number - r u refering to the model number of the lg unit is 32lc7d, 6cdc1d etc?

From all of the service manuals and user manuals i have i have pretty much checked about 25 different models and the protocol is the same accross the models i have checked.

I would be interested in getting your plug and play script to see whether my model works.

Regards

Justin

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:31:37 am »
Hi,

I have entered template for LG M228WD LCD TV, that has probably similar rs232 command set than any other LG model....

But those sqlcvs entries are in queue for a long time and god knows what will happen with them

I have a remainder here, but I'm not sure if it is exactly the same as in sqlcvs.... I just wish that sqlcvs queue would processed faster....

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Bulek

HTH,

regards,

bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 12:15:51 pm »
*hmm*

this is what sqlCVS is for. amazing how everybody wants to reinvent the wheel.

-Thom

Its often hard for people to find all the 'under the hood' features of LinuxMCE... it has such a wealth of capabilities and depth of features. Of course this is also a massive 'strength' too... its what make LinuxMCE so exceptionally powerful.

Maybe what we need is a user friendly Web based front-end to sqlCVS that allows less technical users to get involved with device templates - creating new ones, extending and debugging existing ones etc etc. This would be a massively valuable exercise and one that many users could (and would willingly) get involved in.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 01:56:10 pm »
<troll>
sqlCVS isn't working at the moment anyway, is it??!! For replication of new templates, etc... its very clever but unless its working, then we shouldn't get too prissy about people not knowing it exists!
</troll>

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:07:37 pm »
sqlCVS isn't working at the moment anyway, is it??!!
I noticed that the web interface (http://www.linuxmce.org/sqlCVS/) doesn't work because of some missing access rights ("Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)/Access denied for user 'www-data'@'localhost' (using password: NO)") but the sqlCVS server should be working...? At least I triggered an update two days ago without getting any errors.

Cheers
Chriss

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:10:46 pm »
<troll>
sqlCVS isn't working at the moment anyway, is it??!! For replication of new templates, etc... its very clever but unless its working, then we shouldn't get too prissy about people not knowing it exists!
</troll>
it is. It was always working.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:11:24 pm »
sqlCVS isn't working at the moment anyway, is it??!!
I noticed that the web interface (http://www.linuxmce.org/sqlCVS/) doesn't work because of some missing access rights ("Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)/Access denied for user 'www-data'@'localhost' (using password: NO)") but the sqlCVS server should be working...? At least I triggered an update two days ago without getting any errors.

Cheers
Chriss
thanks for the hint, we've moved servers recently, I'll fix that.

best regards,
Hari

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 02:18:21 pm »
<troll>
</troll>
it is. It was always working.

Wasn't someone just describing sqlCVS as somewhat precarious right at the moment (golgoj?) and talking about manual export methods, sqlCVS notwithstanding... this isn't the first time I have gotten the impression that nothing was coming through from sqlCVS (although previously I assumed it was because nothing was being approved in)... how can I confirm what has been coming in through it? Clearly there is no acknowledgement (or request for confirmation) that templates are coming in, if that is the case as I have never received any alert of it in over 18 months....

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »
it is just that everybody till now tried to commit his complete "kitchen sink".

Tschak has successfully commited parts of his MAME stuff, we also have the DCS5300G from D-Link in there, and a partly working Marantz template.

Regarding the backlog, we've been pretty busy moving the stuff over and working on the build.

br Hari

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 03:37:50 pm »
it is just that everybody till now tried to commit his complete "kitchen sink".

Well, the tool is not that intuitive to handle...
BTW, I synced my german translation of the GUI to the server quite a while ago - I always thought that it worked well without syncing everything else... maybe I should check that again  ;)

Tschak has successfully commited parts of his MAME stuff, we also have the DCS5300G from D-Link in there, and a partly working Marantz template.

I can confirm that I was able to pull Tschak's MAME stuff from the server, at least some screens appeared in HADesigner.

Chriss