Author Topic: What gives, dvd install shuts down  (Read 9393 times)

joeyava

• View Profile
Re: What gives, dvd install shuts down
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 04:42:53 am »
hey do you think it could be mobo related http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6257.0 this guy seems to have the same problem with an msi.....i have watched it for 10-15 minutes, checked in after a couple of hours, and let it sit overnight screen is the same. Also i just tried it using the dvi jack and still the same thing
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:51:51 am by joeyava »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 04:53:56 am »
It could be worth following their recommendations like the BIOS update, but honestly it doesn't sound like you are getting that far! But you aren't giving me much to work on. I am having to do my best to imagine what is going on...

Either way, read my last posts again... you haven't commented at all on what I have said about it asking you to answer some questions before it even BEGINS the install. These guys are already into the install process as they are talking about it copying the DVD to hard drive etc... Unless you have answered those questions I mentioned, then your system hasn't actually even started anything yet to do with LMCE.

The keys here are 1) determining if there is a video output on one of the other outs, 2) determining whether you have actually answered the pre-install questions to even begin the install. I don't see any evidence that you have done either yet, so i can't really help you any more until then.

joeyava

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 04:57:06 am »
It could be worth following their recommendations like the BIOS update, but honestly it doesn't sound like you are getting that far! But you aren't giving me much to work on. I am having to do my best to imagine what is going on...

Either way, read my last posts again... you haven't commented at all on what I have said about it asking you to answer some questions before it even BEGINS the install. These guys are already into the install process as they are talking about it copying the DVD to hard drive etc... Unless you have answered those questions I mentioned, then your system hasn't actually even started anything yet to do with LMCE.

The keys here are 1) determining if there is a video output on one of the other outs, 2) determining whether you have actually answered the pre-install questions to even begin the install. I don't see any evidence that you have done either yet, so i can't really help you any more until then.

sorry i left those details out.
There is no video signal comming from the onboard card, i have not been prompted for any install questions, i put the disk in boot up and it loads the kubuntu installer and I get the screen that i previously posted.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 05:11:17 am »
Then as I say, it is waiting for you to answer those questions before it begins the install - without display that is going to be hard to do. I suggest you re-enable the onboard chipset in the BIOS (perhaps even remove the card to be sure), plug your display into the onboard video connectors and run the install again.

Hopefully, you will have no problem with the video that way. In which case you can then answer those questions, start the install, ultimately remove the DVD and allow it to reboot. This time you should see it go all the way through to the AV Wizard. Even if the AVWizard does or doesn't work, it will have created the xorg.conf template file, so at that point.... well confirm that this works first, then I'll show you how to swap back to the card...

joeyava

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 03:35:25 pm »
thanks for all the help. I got a little further, the onboard card wouldent work with the other card installed so after removing it and using the onboard card it would load, but gets an I/O failure when it starts copying the dvd to the hd. I think i need a new dvdr mine is like one of the first ones you could buy....so im gonna grab a new one today.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 10:34:27 pm »
OK that's an easy one! Means the DVD was a bad burn or the download was bad. Use the md5sum tool to check your download is good (or use the torrent to download as this is almost guaranteed to be good as it checks as it goes). If good, burn it again on the slowest possible speed - this is the most common problem because the image is a single, monolithic file so a single bit error will screw up the entire archive when the burn happens...

Then start the install again, you are nearly there!

joeyava

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 05:54:17 am »
ok I got it running, whats your advice on getting the video card to work

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 06:23:49 am »
OK, shut down the system, plug in your card and start back up again.

Immediately after the POST screen (BIOS Power On Self Test) you will see the GRUB loader screen and a count down of 2 seconds before it kicks off the LMCE startup.

Hit ESC and choose to go into recovery mode. This will start off a basic linux kernel and give you a shell to type commands into. Type lspci. This will list all the devices connected to your PCI bus(s). Assuming your card is PCI(e) you will find it in that list along with the PCI bus ID - make a note of that ID.

Go to the wiki and look up the Display Drivers section and find the bit that tells you how to install the latest nVidia drivers - it is easy, well written and a robust method. Install the drivers, but do not let it modify your xorg.conf file (it asks you if you want to do that at the end of the install).

Now use your favourite text editor to modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf - either vi or ex are already installed. In the Device section, make sure the Driver is set to nvidia (not nv or vesa). Change the BusID to the ID you noted above. Save and exit.

Now reboot, enter your BIOS and change the video setting back to your PCI card and disable the onboard again. Save, shutdown, swap your video cable back over and start back up again.

This should now successfully boot using your card. The only problem maybe that if you haven't already gone through the AV wizard successfully, it may overwrite the xorg.conf file that had your changes. Definitely try to get through the AV Wizard with your internal chipset first if possible, to reduce the likelihood of that.

If it doesn't work, try ssh'ing in and check the xorg.conf file again to see if it has been changed. If it has, the best way maybe to make the change to the xorg.conf file and then copy that over the xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard file (which the AV wizard uses as a template).

Either way, any errors it has should be logged in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.....

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 09:10:24 am »
Hi joeyava,

When you hit enter after the first install screen - do you see your dvd spin up for a few seconds and then stop ?
If you do you might have run into the same problem that i had. Basically if you press 1 on your keyboard and then wait your drive will spin up again - is this correct? If it is correct when it stops spinning type in 1234 or something simple that you can remember as this will become your password.

For some reason i had the same problem with my 8400GTS the first couple of times i did the install. I read the wiki instrucitons many times and could see the first screen and then it went black or 'lock up' after i did the steps above the drive spun up again and the install finished 45 minutes later. The drive ejected and i took the disc out and rebooted the machine. All was good after that.

After i did all this i found a post by someone who suggested to choose f6 and then remove the word no splash. This will then show the install the whole way along. I tried it again via this option and it worked perfectly.

This may not be the fix to your problem - but it sounds very similar to my initial installs.

Regards

Justin