Author Topic: Setting up shepherd for Australian grabber [SOLVED]  (Read 2822 times)

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Setting up shepherd for Australian grabber [SOLVED]
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:18:43 am »
    Had some issues with the normal mythfilldatabase job and Shepherd (and Oz tv listing grabber). Permissions etc.  This has resolved them easily and is the recommended shepherd way of running.

Solved it by doing this:

• sudo passwd mythtv
    • sudo su - mythtv
    • mkdir .shepherd && cd .shepherd
    • wget http://www.whuffy.com/shepherd/shepherd
    • sh /home/mythtv/.shepherd/shepherd
    • Run through the setup process, and allow shepherd to set up mythtv and a cron entry to run mythtfilldatabase (as mythtv user).  Note that one step fails: where it tries to to create a symbolic link from /usr/bin/tv_grab_au to /home/mythtv/.shepherd/shepherd
    • create symbolic link manually:
      • sudo mv /usr/bin/tv_grab_au /usr/bin/tv_grab_au.old
      • sudo ln -s /home/mythtv/.shepherd/shepherd /usr/bin/tv_grab_au
      • Use mythtv-setup from a terminal window to disable the mythfilldatabase job ('cos cron will do it instead)
    Hope this helps someone!  Will put it into the  Wiki as well.

Note that log files for mythfilldatabase will now go to /home/mythtv/.shepherd/log dir.  I will look at how to fix this in the next day or 2.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:27:06 pm by indulis »

jamieaus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up shepherd for Australian grabber [SOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:02 am »
The reason the symbolic link fails to be created is because the user mythtv is not on the sudoers list by default.

You can add mythtv to the list by editing the /etc/group file just add mythtv to the end of the "admin" group seperated by a comma
Example

admin:x:119:jamie,mythtv

Hope this helps simplifies things for people. The mythtv can be removed for the admin group once shepherd is installed if you wish.

Jamie.

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up shepherd for Australian grabber [SOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:19:25 am »
Hi,

Interesting to know as this was my main reason for going across to VDR. Mind you i haven't looked back since and onl consider changing back if i do a rebuild and want to try Mythtv again.

Good information to know. Would suggest it get added to the wiki if you haven't already done so.
Justin