Author Topic: Multiple Web Orbiters.  (Read 9607 times)

JQE

• View Profile
Multiple Web Orbiters.
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:44:41 pm »
I am trying to setup more then one web orbiter.

I create the generic web orbiter and call it desktop
then change the associated proxy orbiter to Desktop

I create generic web orbiter called Mobile
then change the associated proxy orbiter to mobile

change the mobile one to a smaller screen..

but the change seems to force into both orbiters.

What i want is to be able to connect with a web orbiter from work to check on things and work on things, and use the web orbiter on my ipod touch to use as a remote in the house, on the touch the screen scales but is hard to read if i don't re-size... but i can't seem to have different ones running,.

any help?

JQE.

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Web Orbiters.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:39:18 pm »
Hi

I'm having exactly the same issue. What I see is also that if I select any scenario/floorplan in a web orbiter the screen changes also for others web orbiters.
This makes me think that in fact only one instance of Proxy orbiter is running.

Some times ago I posted a question related to the possibility to have multiple instances of proxy web running, and tshack909 confirmed that this is possible.

So probably we are doing it in the wrong way. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

TIA
Marco

JQE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:34:56 pm »
So i know in another thread it was said that this could be done, but no where can i find info on how to do this.

I have done some thinking and digging, everything i have tried has not worked , but i have another idea, but i want some ideas if i can before i dig into it.

I was thinking that the issue may be adding 2 generic web orbiters as an attempt to use them. If i take the settings from the generic web orbiter template and create a Ipod or Mobile web orbiter template and do the same with the proxy orbiter. I think this would stop the two interfaces from conflicting..

Can anyone shine some light on this? I really like this product, but so far the two issues i have had don't seem to get much help from the community... PLEASE give me some guidance if you can...

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:54:06 am »
JQE,

Don't know if this will help you too much but I am pretty sure it is a bug.

I added another web orbiter and tried it.

There is definately two devices being setup and I can login with two different users and the URLs that are generated within the page refer to two distinct devices. It looks like the proxy orbiter is not taking account of this however and is generating exactly the same image for both devices whenever any interaction is performed with either.

There is definately two distinct proxy orbiters running on my core.
I have four relevant log files;
64_web_orbiter.log
65_LaunchProxy_Orbiter.sh.log
79_web_orbiter.log
80_LaunchProxy_Orbiter.sh.log

64 and 79 log files seem to be operating correctly and are showing that they are responding to distinct requests.
65 has no activity.
80 seems to get all the events but also has lots of messages which look like
"Received IMAGE 10013, but device hasn't identified itself yet."

I'm guessing that 80 is setting itself up on the same port or something and taking all the requests.

That is all I have time to look at currently.

regards
Darren

JQE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:42:31 pm »
That's what i was noticing to. I wonder if i tried doing a different port, but the same generic web proxy if it would work. i will continue playing. I am just hoping we can work it out... thanks for the response.

pako

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:18:09 pm »
Did anyone find solution to this issue?

rednaxelan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:54:29 pm »
This issue is still occurring in 0810 - Any of you guru's out there have any ideas for a workaround?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:00:57 pm »
In the back of my head, I remember something about using different ports. See if that helps. Sorry, no details.

Bobcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:27:41 am »
I've had the same problem. I solved it by changing the "listening port" (under advanced on the second web orbiter). I just added 1 to the listening port number. Seems to work. I've got 3 distinct web orbiters and each is tracked individually. Seems that each must simply have it's own listening port.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »
This is a blind folded shot in the dark, but those having this issue, did you create each orbiter as a child of the core?  

I had this problem a long time ago and it was because the obsessive organizer in me decided it would be a good idea to create all my generic orbiters under one generic web device.  Visually it looks better in the device tree, unfortunately it doesn't work.  The symptoms were exactly the same until it stopped working all together.

Also, unless I misunderstood what was said in the second post, some screens change on all orbiters for a given room.  So if you're watching a video in the family room all orbiters for the family room will show the remote screen.  You can change any single orbiter to a different screen without affecting the others after the fact, but at the start of the video all orbiters will go to the remote (I think this can be changed in the settings per orbiter.. I THINK).

Edit: This was misleading...(You can change only one orbiter to a different screen without affecting the others after the fact, but at the start of the video all orbiters will go to the remote (I think this can be changed in the settings per orbiter.. I THINK).)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:05:05 pm by klovell »

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:58 pm »
Ditto on Klovell's post,... I had done the same thing once (not on purpose, just skipped the step of creating the child device, and used the same one like he did).

Same ending as Klovell's too,... bad result. Had to delete and make new ones.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 02:34:03 pm »
I am trying to setup more then one web orbiter.

I create the generic web orbiter and call it desktop
then change the associated proxy orbiter to Desktop

I create generic web orbiter called Mobile
then change the associated proxy orbiter to mobile

change the mobile one to a smaller screen..

but the change seems to force into both orbiters.

What i want is to be able to connect with a web orbiter from work to check on things and work on things, and use the web orbiter on my ipod touch to use as a remote in the house, on the touch the screen scales but is hard to read if i don't re-size... but i can't seem to have different ones running,.

any help?

JQE.

Just follow the steps as described in the Web Orbiter 2.0 Wiki page and it will work; http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Web_Orbiter_2.0

As others have pointed out you must set a unique listen port for each Web Orbiter (very important this as soon as you have more than a single Web Oeboiter in your system). There is no limit to the number of Web Orbiters you can add to a system - other than the increased Regen times as you add more that is.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 02:55:29 pm »
* posde wonders why noone has created a patch to the web admin Orbiter screen to be able to just Add a iPhone4 Orbiter, with everything already defined.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 03:12:56 pm »
* posde wonders why noone has created a patch to the web admin Orbiter screen to be able to just Add a iPhone4 Orbiter, with everything already defined.

Works perfect for me, though I have to run the iPhone 3 resolution on my iPhone 4...  Roaming Orb and Dianemo have never worked right for me unfortunately.  You might also want to wait a bit as iOS6 available notices have just started popping up for me, its bound to break just as much as iOS5 did.
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 03:28:32 pm »
Works perfect for me, though I have to run the iPhone 3 resolution on my iPhone 4...  Roaming Orb and Dianemo have never worked right for me unfortunately.  You might also want to wait a bit as iOS6 available notices have just started popping up for me, its bound to break just as much as iOS5 did.

The Dianemo iOS Orbiter works fine in iOS 6 by the way - although it has not been updated to use the additional screen real estate on the iPhone 5 yet.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk