Author Topic: Is LinuxMCE compatible with Fedora or Mandriva?  (Read 5754 times)

linuxguy83

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Is LinuxMCE compatible with Fedora or Mandriva?
« on: September 07, 2008, 03:58:19 pm »
I am currently in the research phases of building myself a new HTPC. I have been a Ubuntu/KDE user for a while now. Im wanting to use Mandriva or Fedora for the new system, but only if it can be paired with Linux MCE. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Is LinuxMCE compatible with Fedora or Mandriva?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:06:36 pm »
Yes, and that is not possible.

Sure in theory, as the source is available, but when you have to ask (like so many already did before you)...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:15:23 pm »
I am currently in the research phases of building myself a new HTPC. I have been a Ubuntu/KDE user for a while now. Im wanting to use Mandriva or Fedora for the new system, but only if it can be paired with Linux MCE. Does anyone know if this is possible?

As Zaerc says its possible in principle. But in reality an enormous project to take on and certainly not one that will be a 'few' evenings work ;-)

If you like LinuxMCE then I'd suggest just... well using it 'as is' on Kubuntu - Welcome if thats your decision!

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

linuxguy83

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:26 pm »
Thanks Guys! Well i hope eventually in future versions of Linux MCE the possibility of compatibility with other distros makes a prominence :) untill then KDE stays on the HD

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:40:33 am »
Its worth pointing out, too, that you shouldn't install it over an existing KDE/Kubuntu installation (which your last comment seems to suggest you are considering). LMCE is still highly dependent on specific versions and not having anything modified from the base 0710 Live installation...

linuxguy83

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:07:48 am »
Thanks man, thats vital info that i needed to know as well thanks! ill revamp by using the LMCE/KDE installation. so now knowing that... can i update Kubuntu to 8.04 after the full LMCE/KDE installation. I ask because ive already updated with my current Kubuntu, and l like the most recent version...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:35:42 am by linuxguy83 »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:37:44 pm »
No.

-Thom

richard.e.morton

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:08:30 pm »
LinuxMCE is deeply integrated with specific components of the Kubuntu distribution. Each LinuxMCE release is aligned with a specific Kubuntu release and the next LinuxMCE release is planned to be aligned with Kubuntu 810 (Kubuntu 810 due later this year - LinuxMCE sometime after that - I am sure that there is quite a bit of work to complete the integration and testing for the final release.

R