Author Topic: okay. so it's really not liking my 7600 GT  (Read 2395 times)

lockdown1101

• View Profile
okay. so it's really not liking my 7600 GT
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:01:56 am »
It's an xfx graphics card. For some reason this is really difficult. I changed it to vesa to get in and install the drivers. After that succeeded, I get the black screen again. I tried editing the xorg.conf to "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT", CRT-1, AND CRT-0... none of them worked.. I really am stuck now. I don't know what to do from here

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: okay. so it's really not liking my 7600 GT
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:08:22 am »
If you haven't already done so upgrade the nvidia drivers.  Download from website, hit ctrl alt f2, go to the directory where you download the drivers.  type telinit 1, that will kill x. then sh N Tab that should bring up the command you need to install the driver.  Why am i telling you all this here's a link.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5398.msg31667#msg31667

If that doesn't help post back, by the way which dvd did you install.  If it wasn't the i386 version you might want to give that a try.  I have a xfx 8500gt and the i386 version worked right off the bat.  Just had to upgrade drivers to get the dvi to hdmi to work.

GL
Crumble.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:12:58 am by Crumble »

lockdown1101

• View Profile
Re: okay. so it's really not liking my 7600 GT
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 05:23:32 am »
I'm ALMOST up and running... I already had the i386 one... So yeah, I knew what i was doing in that respect and I used the envy guide to update my drivers before it even booted. But now OpenGL isn't working at all. First I used the high grade alpha whatever setting and got the failed transparency... now i tried on medium and got openGL failure... so it seems the only one that will work is the simple. But I had the simple working way back when with using vesa drivers... I've come so far, why does this system hate my card so much?

update: apparently it's a GS... it's been a while since I bought it =/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:28:17 am by lockdown1101 »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous