Author Topic: New Orbiter possibilities around the corner  (Read 3674 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New Orbiter possibilities around the corner
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:53:06 pm »
Hey all,
I thought I'd share this with you all. Looks like we will have a few more options for orbiter platforms very soon. Samsung, Asus and Founder are preparing to release to market their new UltraMobile PCs (UMPC).

Estimated selling price was mentioned to be in the $800 range. Even with some room for improvement, they still look like reasonable alternatives to the products like the DTResearch DT366

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/hands-on-with-asus-and-founder-umpcs/
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6047876.html?tag=nl.e589
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6047643.html?tag=nl

These minitablets are capable of running Windows XP along with a "Windows Touch Pack" that allows the devices to be more easily controlled using fingertip input. Microsoft expects that "gadget geeks" will make up most of the early buyers of the devices, which weigh roughly two pounds, pack a 7-inch screen and cost around $800

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:06:43 am »
I was waiting for the release of these to see exactly where they would be positioned. I had heard rumours that they would be more in the 200-500 dollar range rather than 700-1000+ range which they seem to be in.

At that price they are too expensive IMO for just an orbiter but they are probably sufficiently spec'd to make a mobile Media Director. Currently the MD is tied pretty closely to a room but maybe this can change by having a similar device to MD but that is Mobile (just like the mobile orbiters are implementing an orbiter). This also assumes that you can get pluto running on the OS (or install other OSs on the device). Be interesting to see if they can Net Boot.

The battery life is a bit of a concern though. They are stated at only having 2-3 hours which is probably not long enough.

It would be interesting to play with one though.

Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:15:35 am »
I was waiting for the release of these to see exactly where they would be positioned. I had heard rumours that they would be more in the 200-500 dollar range rather than 700-1000+ range which they seem to be in.

At that price they are too expensive IMO for just an orbiter but they are probably sufficiently spec'd to make a mobile Media Director. Currently the MD is tied pretty closely to a room but maybe this can change by having a similar device to MD but that is Mobile (just like the mobile orbiters are implementing an orbiter). This also assumes that you can get pluto running on the OS (or install other OSs on the device). Be interesting to see if they can Net Boot.

The battery life is a bit of a concern though. They are stated at only having 2-3 hours which is probably not long enough.

It would be interesting to play with one though.

Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:22:55 pm »
I had heard rumours that they would be more in the 200-500 dollar range rather than 700-1000+ range which they seem to be in.

At that price they are too expensive IMO for just an orbiter

Compared to the WebDT366 (@$1600.00 - $1850.00 US) these are still half the cost.

This also assumes that you can get pluto running on the OS (or install other OSs on the device).

They run windows XP.

I had a conversation with a local WebDT366 retailer  who was refered to me after contacting DTReasearch who stated that the DT366 (same webpad used by pluto) also only gets about 3 hours of battery life when off the charger.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 12:10:18 am »
Agree, they certainly look like a better option(pricewise) than the WebDT366 and would be interested in how they go if you get one.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 02:32:23 am »
A very nice alternative to the dtresearch product. Thanks.

Regards,
Blair