Author Topic: Freeze Up, what to do next?  (Read 2641 times)

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Freeze Up, what to do next?
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:57:33 pm »
I just installed LinuxMCE RC2 386 on a hybrid system and have been playing around with it.  I went into pictures and viewed the flickr pics.  There was one I found objectionable so I tried to delete it and the screen has frozen.  The mouse will move the cursor around, but can't get it to do anything else.  Mouse clicks don't do anything.  What do I do next when I get a freeze up like this, other than turning the power off to the computer and restarting it?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Freeze Up, what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 01:20:25 am »
You could see if a router reload in the web-admin (from another machine over the network) helps.  Or try logging in remotely using ssh to see what's going on, and maybe do a reboot as that is preferable over switching the machine off the hard way.

In my experience deleting a picture doesn't really help as it will be downloaded again, what does work is to uncheck it in the web-admin so that it won't be used for the screen saver anymore. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Freeze Up, what to do next?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 03:50:49 am »
Thanks Zaerc, unfortunately the power went off to my house before I could try your suggestions.  The computer lost power, but when the power came back on it is working now.